terastation sadness

  • bill fumerola
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
      hi.

      so i started screwing around with my 1TB terastation, got as far as
      getting debian up and running w/ slimserver serving up my tunes. kudos
      to the linkstationwiki & terastation.org & all the sites/users referenced
      from there. it was really easy.

      long story short: i broke glibc on it. it boots. the kernel & network
      interface comes up (arps, responds to ping) but anything that is
      dynamically linked isn't running. this includes the program listening
      on a udp port for flash/config updates. i can get around the watchdog
      not firing, but it doesn't do me a whole lot of good.

      normally i'm not this bad of a sysadmin. normally i have a console or a
      bootloader or a tftp/rarp ripcord or a recovery mode. i've gotten lazy
      i guess.

      so here's my question to the local experts: is there any way i'm getting
      out of taking this thing apart, slapping a usb<->ata interface on a disk,
      and fixing it by hand in knoppix or whatever? do i have any other options?

      thanks in advance,
      -- bill
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
        So i assume you have already tried to connecting over telnet/ssh and
        it did not work. because if you had access you could swap out the
        glibc to get it running again.

        if there is no chance of getting connected, then opening is the only way.

        -- regards
        -- mindbender

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, bill fumerola <billf@...>
        wrote:

        > hi.
        >
        > so i started screwing around with my 1TB terastation, got as far as
        > getting debian up and running w/ slimserver serving up my tunes. kudos
        > to the linkstationwiki & terastation.org & all the sites/users
        referenced
        > from there. it was really easy.
        >
        > long story short: i broke glibc on it. it boots. the kernel & network
        > interface comes up (arps, responds to ping) but anything that is
        > dynamically linked isn't running. this includes the program listening
        > on a udp port for flash/config updates. i can get around the watchdog
        > not firing, but it doesn't do me a whole lot of good.
        >
        > normally i'm not this bad of a sysadmin. normally i have a console or a
        > bootloader or a tftp/rarp ripcord or a recovery mode. i've gotten lazy
        > i guess.
        >
        > so here's my question to the local experts: is there any way i'm getting
        > out of taking this thing apart, slapping a usb<->ata interface on a
        disk,
        > and fixing it by hand in knoppix or whatever? do i have any other
        options?

        > thanks in advance,
        > -- bill

      • bill fumerola
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
          On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 08:09:14AM -0000, cherrytreeproduction wrote:
          > So i assume you have already tried to connecting over telnet/ssh and
          > it did not work. because if you had access you could swap out the
          > glibc to get it running again.

          both are linked dynamically and are just as screwed as the flash updater.

          > if there is no chance of getting connected, then opening is the only way.

          ok. i was hoping for some EM magic or perhaps hooking up the TS to another
          computer over USB or some other magic incantation i missed.

          thanks,
          --bill