Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • bill fumerola
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
      On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:17:22PM -0700, KeepIt SimpleStupid wrote:
      > The subnet mask determines what addresses the devices
      > on your LAN respond to. So, the most common subnet
      > mask of 255.255.255.0 means anything that matches the
      > first 3 digits of the IP address. Anything else the
      > router processes.

      it masks away the last octet of the IP address. a network of 1.1.1.0
      with a mask of 255.255.255.0 means that addresses belonging to that
      network are 1.1.1.0 through 1.1.1.255.

      it's easier to think of it as a mask not as the decimal 255.255.255.0
      but the hex 0xffffff00. 1.1.1.0 is 0x01010100. with our netmask in mind,
      0x01010100 through 0x010101ff are part of the same network.

      > I checked on a Unix system "ifconfig -a" lists some of
      > the configuration parameters in a different form, but
      > not the gateway.

      interface ip assignment and routing are related but are two different
      concepts and are tracked in different structures.

      to see the a machine's gateway:
      as an unprivleged user: 'netstat -nrt | grep default'
      as root: 'route get 0.0.0.0'

      -- bill
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 26, 2006
        --- bill fumerola <billf@...> wrote:

        <snip>

        Nice job:

        So to get the deafult nameserver: "dig | grep default"

        To get the default gateway
        "netstat -nr | grep default"

        and to find the IP address of the interfaces:
        "ifconfig -a", a netmask of ffffff00 hex is really
        255.255.255.0 in dotted decimal

        Simplistic, but it's a place to start. The -t option
        for netstat didn't work under SunOS.

        http://mail.yahoo.com