Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
      Modems can be weird like mine. I have my DSL
      configured in bridge mode. The only way I can
      configure it is with a crossover cable directly
      connected to the modem. This is neither here nor
      there, though.

      Routers on the other hand might be configured by
      telnet or http. They usually have an option to allow
      configuration from the WAN, otherwise they must be
      configured from the LAN side only.

      Your internal LAN when using DHCP gets the name server
      address using DHCP. When you have a static IP
      address, your nameserver and gateway for your LAN is
      generally your router's IP address.

      Without a gateway defined, you can't get outside your
      LAN. Without a nameserver defined things like
      www.google.com makes no sense, but 64.233.161.104
      does.

      The subnet mask determines what addresses the devices
      on your LAN respond to. So, the most common subnet
      mask of 255.255.255.0 means anything that matches the
      first 3 digits of the IP address. Anything else the
      router processes.

      I checked on a Unix system "ifconfig -a" lists some of
      the configuration parameters in a different form, but
      not the gateway.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • bill fumerola
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
        On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:17:22PM -0700, KeepIt SimpleStupid wrote:
        > The subnet mask determines what addresses the devices
        > on your LAN respond to. So, the most common subnet
        > mask of 255.255.255.0 means anything that matches the
        > first 3 digits of the IP address. Anything else the
        > router processes.

        it masks away the last octet of the IP address. a network of 1.1.1.0
        with a mask of 255.255.255.0 means that addresses belonging to that
        network are 1.1.1.0 through 1.1.1.255.

        it's easier to think of it as a mask not as the decimal 255.255.255.0
        but the hex 0xffffff00. 1.1.1.0 is 0x01010100. with our netmask in mind,
        0x01010100 through 0x010101ff are part of the same network.

        > I checked on a Unix system "ifconfig -a" lists some of
        > the configuration parameters in a different form, but
        > not the gateway.

        interface ip assignment and routing are related but are two different
        concepts and are tracked in different structures.

        to see the a machine's gateway:
        as an unprivleged user: 'netstat -nrt | grep default'
        as root: 'route get 0.0.0.0'

        -- bill
      • KeepIt SimpleStupid
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 26, 2006
          --- bill fumerola <billf@...> wrote:

          <snip>

          Nice job:

          So to get the deafult nameserver: "dig | grep default"

          To get the default gateway
          "netstat -nr | grep default"

          and to find the IP address of the interfaces:
          "ifconfig -a", a netmask of ffffff00 hex is really
          255.255.255.0 in dotted decimal

          Simplistic, but it's a place to start. The -t option
          for netstat didn't work under SunOS.

          http://mail.yahoo.com