Linkstation 2 - Samba with DOS

  • arfski
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2006
      Hi,

      Has anyone in the group got the LS (MIPS) to work with MSDOS? Works
      fine in Windows but in DOS you can not do a directory listing, I just
      get the message back "Extended error 123", I can still access files
      fine as long as I know the full name and location.

      I've installed the Openlink firmware from LinkStationWiki.com so that
      I could Telnet in and check out the smb.conf file and do some changes
      but its made no difference.

      I would try and stick on the full Debian install but my Linux
      knowledge is not that great and to be honest I've found the howto
      guides a bit beyond my level, wish I had a PowerPC version as there
      are easy installers for it but sadly not for the MIPS version.

      Any help appreciated by someone who has spent 3 full working days and
      my evenings trying to work this one out, and to be honest I just want
      to drag the box out into the car park and set fire to it whilst I
      merrily dance around the bonfire... Hmm, bit harsh as work would
      probably get upset and it's my knowledge that's lacking...

      Raf.
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "arfski" <rafmoslin@...>
        wrote:
        > Has anyone in the group got the LS (MIPS) to work with MSDOS? Works
        > fine in Windows but in DOS you can not do a directory listing, I just
        > get the message back "Extended error 123", I can still access files
        > fine as long as I know the full name and location.

        My god, DOS, and you still keep wasting your time on it? <http://
        www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_20449431.html>
        (untested of course)

        -Andre
      • arfski
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
          Ah if only life was that simple, Norton Ghost requires a DOS boot
          disk, hosting the images on the Linkstation means I need DOS access,
          not out of choice but necessity! Thanks for looking but already been
          on experts-exchange, the article you refer to is misuse of the net
          view command, my problem is just the "DIR" comamnd, no listing, just
          Extended error 123...

          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "arfski" <rafmoslin@>
          > wrote:
          > > Has anyone in the group got the LS (MIPS) to work with MSDOS? Works
          > > fine in Windows but in DOS you can not do a directory listing, I just
          > > get the message back "Extended error 123", I can still access files
          > > fine as long as I know the full name and location.
          >
          > My god, DOS, and you still keep wasting your time on it? <http://
          > www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_20449431.html>
          > (untested of course)
          >
          > -Andre

        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
            wrote:

            > Ah if only life was that simple, Norton Ghost requires a DOS boot
            > disk, hosting the images on the Linkstation means I need DOS access,
            > not out of choice but necessity! Thanks for looking but already been
            > on experts-exchange, the article you refer to is misuse of the net
            > view command, my problem is just the "DIR" comamnd, no listing, just
            > Extended error 123...

            [no top-posting please]

            I don't know Norton Ghost, but it seems to have a weak spot. Anyway, do
            you know of the "netcat" program? Just an idea.

            -Andre
          • arfski
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
              Many thanks for the idea.

              I'm wondering if the LS implementation of Samba is at fault, I've
              spoken to Buffalo and all they can say is that the box is only
              supported from Windows, not something they state on the sales
              information.

              DIR in full returns:

              " Volume in drive G has no label

              Extended Error 123"

              "
              The drive G has been mapped just a "NET USE G: \\NAS\GHOST" statement.

              I've tried using various DOS LAN clients, PCDOS, MSDOS... If I still
              had a tether I would be at the end of it.

              Tried looking at getting a full version of Debian on it but it's way
              past my Linux abilities, and I dont want to take the hard drive out of
              a brand new unit.

              Thanks for the suggestions again!

              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "arfski" <rafmoslin@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Ah if only life was that simple, Norton Ghost requires a DOS boot
              > > disk, hosting the images on the Linkstation means I need DOS access,
              > > not out of choice but necessity! Thanks for looking but already been
              > > on experts-exchange, the article you refer to is misuse of the net
              > > view command, my problem is just the "DIR" comamnd, no listing, just
              > > Extended error 123...
              >
              > [no top-posting please]
              >
              > I don't know Norton Ghost, but it seems to have a weak spot. Anyway, do
              > you know of the "netcat" program? Just an idea.
              >
              > -Andre

            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "arfski" <rafmoslin@...>
                wrote:
                [...]
                > The drive G has been mapped just a "NET USE G: \\NAS\GHOST"
                statement.

                As I understood it, the article I pointed to suggested to use the
                numeric IP address.

                Good luck!

                -Andre
              • rsteiner@visi.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
                  Here in the mailing list for buffalo, "arfski" <rafmoslin@...> spake unto us, saying:

                  >I'm wondering if the LS implementation of Samba is at fault, I've
                  >spoken to Buffalo and all they can say is that the box is only
                  >supported from Windows, not something they state on the sales
                  >information.

                  It's strange. My LS works just fine with Windows, Linux, and OS/2, but
                  when I'm in a DOS VDM under OS/2 I can't do DIR commands either (using
                  either the latest version of 4DOS or COMMAND.COM) ... and that's on a
                  box that is connected just fine in OS/2 and can view the LS natively.

                  Since I don't have this issue with multiple other Samba boxes, I can
                  only assume there's something unique about the LS's configuration that
                  makes DOS unhappy.

                  The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
                • dianalucy00-magnia@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 28, 2006
                    Hello,

                    - snip -
                    the "DIR" comamnd, no listing, just Extended error 123...
                    - snip -

                    I had this issue before when I used Bart's MODBOOT DOS disk on a Snap Server that was part of our NT domain.  I know that the Linkstation doesn't do Domains but you might want to check your network client login on your DOS boot disk to ensure it's not trying to access a Domain - should instead try as a workgroup or even a Peer.  Check protocol.ini or the other ini to see which it is trying to use on your boot disk.

                    In my case, when I had specified to login using the Domain I would see an empty DIR despite the fact that well over 20 directories were in the share.  I changed Bart's MODBOOT DOS disk to login via a nonexistant workgroup called "WORKGROUP" and established an account on the Snap server itself just for ghosting with access to that share only.  Now my DOS based ghosting always works.

                    Hope that helps,
                    - Linda :)

                    For my non-geek friends:
                    Friends don't email friends .exe or .com files. So don't open those types of attachments!!
                    For my geek friends:
                    Adopt a newbie....

                    <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "arfski" <rafmoslin@>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Has anyone in the group got the LS (MIPS) to work with MSDOS? Works
                    > > fine in Windows but in DOS you can not do a directory listing, I just
                    > > get the message back "Extended error 123", I can still access files
                    > > fine as long as I know the full name and location.
                    >
                    > My god, DOS, and you still keep wasting your time on it? <http://
                    > www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_20449431.html>
                    > (untested of course)
                    >
                    > -Andre