sudo for HD-HG?

  • ken_simler
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2006
      I have an HD-HG250 that I opened with OpenLink 0.51b to run
      slimserver. When I need to do root-like things, I just login as root,
      but I was wondering if there is a version of sudo that I could
      install. I've installed the development tools from
      linkstationwiki.org, so building from source shouldn't be a problem.

      One of the motivations for wanting this is to be able to shutdown the
      LS using the squeezebox interface. The ExecuteScript plugin will run
      scripts on the host, but I run slimserver with regular user
      privileges, and only root can run shutdown.

      Thanks for any help.
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
        >I have an HD-HG250 that I opened with OpenLink 0.51b to run
        > slimserver. When I need to do root-like things, I just login as root,
        > but I was wondering if there is a version of sudo that I could
        > install. I've installed the development tools from
        > linkstationwiki.org, so building from source shouldn't be a problem.
        >
        > One of the motivations for wanting this is to be able to shutdown the
        > LS using the squeezebox interface. The ExecuteScript plugin will run
        > scripts on the host, but I run slimserver with regular user
        > privileges, and only root can run shutdown.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.

        Ken,

        Use "su -" without the quotes of course.

        JR
      • ken_simler
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9 9:25 AM
          <jronald@...> wrote:

          > >I have an HD-HG250 that I opened with OpenLink 0.51b to run
          > > slimserver. When I need to do root-like things, I just login as root,
          > > but I was wondering if there is a version of sudo that I could
          > > install. I've installed the development tools from
          > > linkstationwiki.org, so building from source shouldn't be a problem.
          > >
          > > One of the motivations for wanting this is to be able to shutdown the
          > > LS using the squeezebox interface. The ExecuteScript plugin will run
          > > scripts on the host, but I run slimserver with regular user
          > > privileges, and only root can run shutdown.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any help.
          > >
          > Ken,
          >
          > Use "su -" without the quotes of course.
          >
          > JR

          Thanks for the suggestion JR, except it seems that I don't even have
          `su' on the LinkStation. I would have thought it had one, but it doesn't.

          I've installed the development tools from linkstationwiki.org -- can
          you or anyone else point me to the source so I can build `su'. Or a
          precompiled PPC binary would be fine.

          Thanks again,
          KS
        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9 10:52 AM
            Ken

            Sorry,  I've been running Debian on LS and Kuro for a very long time now and don't really remember what was installed on an out to the box LS.
            You could just try extracting it from one of the other LS/Kuro PPC distributions (Free link, open link or even debian).

            JR
            > >I have an HD-HG250 that I opened with OpenLink 0.51b to run
            > > slimserver. When I need to do root-like things, I just login as root,
            > > but I was wondering if there is a version of sudo that I could
            > > install. I've installed the development tools from
            > > linkstationwiki.org, so building from source shouldn't be a problem.
            > >
            > > One of the motivations for wanting this is to be able to shutdown the
            > > LS using the squeezebox interface. The ExecuteScript plugin will run
            > > scripts on the host, but I run slimserver with regular user
            > > privileges, and only root can run shutdown.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any help.
            > >
            > Ken,
            >
            > Use "su -"  without the quotes of course.
            >
            > JR

            Thanks for the suggestion JR, except it seems that I don't even have
            `su' on the LinkStation. I would have thought it had one, but it doesn't.

            I've installed the development tools from linkstationwiki.org -- can
            you or anyone else point me to the source so I can build `su'. Or a
            precompiled PPC binary would be fine.

            Thanks again,
            KS

            Home is just a click away. Make Yahoo! your home page now.
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • ken_simler
            Message 5 of 5 , May 10 2:30 PM
              Thanks for the reply. It seems it's not in OpenLink 0.51b, but I'll
              check one of the other distributions. Cheers,
              -Ken