Re: Help with Init Script

  • daviseh
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
      <lalunas10@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
      > <lalunas10@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

      > the

      > but

      > > > good as
      > > If /"etc/
      > > the

      > > > Andre - Thanks for your resposne.
      > > >
      > > > The script is slimstart.sh. I enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
      > start"
      > > > and slimserver starts. I check ps -A and it shows slimserver.pl.
      > > >
      > > > I created a soft link in "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimstart.sh" but the
      > > > script does not run at bootup. I checked ps -A and no
      slimserver.

      > > > What am I doing wrong?
      > >
      > > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl
      is
      > in
      > > /usr/local/bin/.
      >
      > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename
      your
      > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
      >
      > -Andre

      Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that is
      preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not appear
      in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that the
      file already exists.

      I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you note to
      rename it.

      Have I corrupted my instalion?

      Ed
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
        wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
        > <lalunas10@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
        > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>

        > <daviseh@>

        > > the

        > of
        > the
        > setup
        > > but

        > looks
        > > > If /"etc/
        > in
        > > > the

        > > start"

        > slimserver.

        > > > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl
        > is
        > > in
        > > > /usr/local/bin/.
        > >
        > > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename
        > your
        > > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
        > >
        > > -Andre
        > >
        > Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that is
        > preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not
        appear
        > in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that the
        > file already exists.
        >
        > I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you note
        > rename it.
        >
        > Have I corrupted my instalion?

        No, it wasn't there before ;)

        You should be able to copy&paste the following into your terminal as a
        block:

        cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
        rm slimstart* 2>/dev/null
        ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh S90slimstart.sh
        cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
        ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
        cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/
        ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh

        and would have all links created cleanly that way.

        -Andre
      • daviseh
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2006
          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
          > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

          > > <daviseh@>

          Slimserver
          > on
          > > > the

          > > of
          > > the
          > > setup
          > > > but

          > > looks
          0755 /etc/init.d/slimserver".
          > > in
          > rc2.d/

          enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
          > > > start"
          > slimserver.pl.

          > the
          > > slimserver.

          > > is
          > > > in
          > > >
          > > > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong.
          Rename
          > > your
          > > > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
          > > >
          > > > -Andre
          > > >
          > > Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that
          is
          > > preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not
          > appear
          > > in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that
          the
          > > file already exists.
          > >
          > > I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you
          note
          > > rename it.
          > >
          > > Have I corrupted my instalion?
          >
          > No, it wasn't there before ;)
          >
          > You should be able to copy&paste the following into your terminal
          as a
          > block:
          >

          > cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
          > rm slimstart* 2>/dev/null
          > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh S90slimstart.sh
          > cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
          > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
          > cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/
          > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
          >

          > and would have all links created cleanly that way.
          >
          > -Andre

          Thanks Andre,

          Slimserver is now running at bootup.

          Ed