Re: Help with Init Script

  • daviseh
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10 8:47 AM
      > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl is
      in
      > /usr/local/bin/.
      >
      > -Andre

      Andre - I am really in over my head. I don't know what the perl files
      look like but I don't see anything like that in /usr/local/bin/. Just
      vlc, bison, xml, etc. However, I do see a symbolic link
      to "slimstart".

      Is there a way to get around this?

      I saw something about creating a USER named slimserver in one of the
      instructions but it was a more elaborate script. Does this give
      access and get around the security issue?

      Thanks,

      Ed
    • daviseh
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10 11:13 AM
        <lalunas10@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
        > <lalunas10@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

        > the

        > but

        > > > good as
        > > If /"etc/
        > > the

        > > > Andre - Thanks for your resposne.
        > > >
        > > > The script is slimstart.sh. I enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
        > start"
        > > > and slimserver starts. I check ps -A and it shows slimserver.pl.
        > > >
        > > > I created a soft link in "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimstart.sh" but the
        > > > script does not run at bootup. I checked ps -A and no
        slimserver.

        > > > What am I doing wrong?
        > >
        > > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl
        is
        > in
        > > /usr/local/bin/.
        >
        > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename
        your
        > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
        >
        > -Andre

        Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that is
        preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not appear
        in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that the
        file already exists.

        I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you note to
        rename it.

        Have I corrupted my instalion?

        Ed
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10 11:50 PM
          wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
          > <lalunas10@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
          > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>

          > <daviseh@>

          > > the

          > of
          > the
          > setup
          > > but

          > looks
          > > > If /"etc/
          > in
          > > > the

          > > start"

          > slimserver.

          > > > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl
          > is
          > > in
          > > > /usr/local/bin/.
          > >
          > > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename
          > your
          > > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
          > >
          > > -Andre
          > >
          > Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that is
          > preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not
          appear
          > in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that the
          > file already exists.
          >
          > I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you note
          > rename it.
          >
          > Have I corrupted my instalion?

          No, it wasn't there before ;)

          You should be able to copy&paste the following into your terminal as a
          block:

          cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
          rm slimstart* 2>/dev/null
          ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh S90slimstart.sh
          cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
          ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
          cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/
          ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh

          and would have all links created cleanly that way.

          -Andre
        • daviseh
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11 4:58 AM
            <lalunas10@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
            > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

            > > <daviseh@>

            Slimserver
            > on
            > > > the

            > > of
            > > the
            > > setup
            > > > but

            > > looks
            0755 /etc/init.d/slimserver".
            > > in
            > rc2.d/

            enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
            > > > start"
            > slimserver.pl.

            > the
            > > slimserver.

            > > is
            > > > in
            > > >
            > > > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong.
            Rename
            > > your
            > > > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
            > > >
            > > > -Andre
            > > >
            > > Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that
            is
            > > preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not
            > appear
            > > in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that
            the
            > > file already exists.
            > >
            > > I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you
            note
            > > rename it.
            > >
            > > Have I corrupted my instalion?
            >
            > No, it wasn't there before ;)
            >
            > You should be able to copy&paste the following into your terminal
            as a
            > block:
            >

            > cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
            > rm slimstart* 2>/dev/null
            > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh S90slimstart.sh
            > cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
            > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
            > cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/
            > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
            >

            > and would have all links created cleanly that way.
            >
            > -Andre

            Thanks Andre,

            Slimserver is now running at bootup.

            Ed