Re: Help with Init Script

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
      <lalunas10@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
      > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>

      > > > I'll assume the script is called "slimserver". The script looks
      > > good as
      > > > such; you'll have to "chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/slimserver".
      > If /"etc/
      > > > init.d/slimserver start" works, create a symbolic link to it in
      > the
      > > > right place, either /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimserver or /etc/rc2.d/
      > > > slimserver.
      > > >
      > > > -Andre
      > > >

      > > Andre - Thanks for your resposne.
      > >
      > > The script is slimstart.sh. I enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
      start"
      > > and slimserver starts. I check ps -A and it shows slimserver.pl.
      > >
      > > I created a soft link in "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimstart.sh" but the
      > > script does not run at bootup. I checked ps -A and no slimserver.
      > >
      > > What am I doing wrong?
      >
      > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl is
      in
      > /usr/local/bin/.

      Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename your
      softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"

      -Andre
    • daviseh
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
        > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl is
        in
        > /usr/local/bin/.
        >
        > -Andre

        Andre - I am really in over my head. I don't know what the perl files
        look like but I don't see anything like that in /usr/local/bin/. Just
        vlc, bison, xml, etc. However, I do see a symbolic link
        to "slimstart".

        Is there a way to get around this?

        I saw something about creating a USER named slimserver in one of the
        instructions but it was a more elaborate script. Does this give
        access and get around the security issue?

        Thanks,

        Ed
      • daviseh
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
          > <lalunas10@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

          > the

          > but

          > > > good as
          > > If /"etc/
          > > the

          > > > Andre - Thanks for your resposne.
          > > >
          > > > The script is slimstart.sh. I enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
          > start"
          > > > and slimserver starts. I check ps -A and it shows slimserver.pl.
          > > >
          > > > I created a soft link in "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimstart.sh" but the
          > > > script does not run at bootup. I checked ps -A and no
          slimserver.

          > > > What am I doing wrong?
          > >
          > > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl
          is
          > in
          > > /usr/local/bin/.
          >
          > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename
          your
          > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
          >
          > -Andre

          Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that is
          preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not appear
          in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that the
          file already exists.

          I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you note to
          rename it.

          Have I corrupted my instalion?

          Ed
        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
            wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
            > <lalunas10@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
            > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>

            > <daviseh@>

            > > the

            > of
            > the
            > setup
            > > but

            > looks
            > > > If /"etc/
            > in
            > > > the

            > > start"

            > slimserver.

            > > > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl
            > is
            > > in
            > > > /usr/local/bin/.
            > >
            > > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename
            > your
            > > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
            > >
            > > -Andre
            > >
            > Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that is
            > preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not
            appear
            > in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that the
            > file already exists.
            >
            > I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you note
            > rename it.
            >
            > Have I corrupted my instalion?

            No, it wasn't there before ;)

            You should be able to copy&paste the following into your terminal as a
            block:

            cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
            rm slimstart* 2>/dev/null
            ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh S90slimstart.sh
            cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
            ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
            cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/
            ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh

            and would have all links created cleanly that way.

            -Andre
          • daviseh
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2006
              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
              > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

              > > <daviseh@>

              Slimserver
              > on
              > > > the

              > > of
              > > the
              > > setup
              > > > but

              > > looks
              0755 /etc/init.d/slimserver".
              > > in
              > rc2.d/

              enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
              > > > start"
              > slimserver.pl.

              > the
              > > slimserver.

              > > is
              > > > in
              > > >
              > > > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong.
              Rename
              > > your
              > > > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
              > > >
              > > > -Andre
              > > >
              > > Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that
              is
              > > preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not
              > appear
              > > in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that
              the
              > > file already exists.
              > >
              > > I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you
              note
              > > rename it.
              > >
              > > Have I corrupted my instalion?
              >
              > No, it wasn't there before ;)
              >
              > You should be able to copy&paste the following into your terminal
              as a
              > block:
              >

              > cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
              > rm slimstart* 2>/dev/null
              > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh S90slimstart.sh
              > cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
              > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
              > cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/
              > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
              >

              > and would have all links created cleanly that way.
              >
              > -Andre

              Thanks Andre,

              Slimserver is now running at bootup.

              Ed