Re: Help with Init Script

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@...>
      wrote:

      > I am trying to create a startup script to run Slimserver on the
      > Kurobox.
      >
      > I have slimserver installed and
      > running "mnt/slimserver/slimserver.pl". I have done a lot of
      > searches but have not been able to make this work. I found the
      > following script here and tried to modify it to fit my setup but I
      > can not get this to work on bootup.

      I'll assume the script is called "slimserver". The script looks good as
      such; you'll have to "chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/slimserver". If /"etc/
      init.d/slimserver start" works, create a symbolic link to it in the
      right place, either /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimserver or /etc/rc2.d/
      slimserver.

      -Andre
    • daviseh
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
        <lalunas10@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I am trying to create a startup script to run Slimserver on the
        > > Kurobox.
        > >
        > > I have slimserver installed and
        > > running "mnt/slimserver/slimserver.pl". I have done a lot of
        > > searches but have not been able to make this work. I found the
        > > following script here and tried to modify it to fit my setup but
        > > can not get this to work on bootup.
        >
        > I'll assume the script is called "slimserver". The script looks
        good as
        > such; you'll have to "chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/slimserver". If /"etc/
        > init.d/slimserver start" works, create a symbolic link to it in the
        > right place, either /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimserver or /etc/rc2.d/
        > slimserver.
        >
        > -Andre

        Andre - Thanks for your resposne.

        The script is slimstart.sh. I enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh start"
        and slimserver starts. I check ps -A and it shows slimserver.pl.

        I created a soft link in "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimstart.sh" but the
        script does not run at bootup. I checked ps -A and no slimserver.

        What am I doing wrong?

        Ed
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
          wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
          > <lalunas10@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I am trying to create a startup script to run Slimserver on the
          > > > Kurobox.
          > > >
          > > > I have slimserver installed and
          > > > running "mnt/slimserver/slimserver.pl". I have done a lot of
          > > > searches but have not been able to make this work. I found the
          > > > following script here and tried to modify it to fit my setup but
          > > > can not get this to work on bootup.
          > >
          > > I'll assume the script is called "slimserver". The script looks
          > good as
          > > such; you'll have to "chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/slimserver".
          If /"etc/
          > > init.d/slimserver start" works, create a symbolic link to it in
          the
          > > right place, either /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimserver or /etc/rc2.d/
          > > slimserver.
          > >
          > > -Andre
          > >

          > Andre - Thanks for your resposne.
          >
          > The script is slimstart.sh. I enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh start"
          > and slimserver starts. I check ps -A and it shows slimserver.pl.
          >
          > I created a soft link in "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimstart.sh" but the
          > script does not run at bootup. I checked ps -A and no slimserver.
          >
          > What am I doing wrong?

          The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl is in
          /usr/local/bin/.

          -Andre
        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
            <lalunas10@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
            > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>

            > > > I'll assume the script is called "slimserver". The script looks
            > > good as
            > > > such; you'll have to "chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/slimserver".
            > If /"etc/
            > > > init.d/slimserver start" works, create a symbolic link to it in
            > the
            > > > right place, either /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimserver or /etc/rc2.d/
            > > > slimserver.
            > > >
            > > > -Andre
            > > >

            > > Andre - Thanks for your resposne.
            > >
            > > The script is slimstart.sh. I enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
            start"
            > > and slimserver starts. I check ps -A and it shows slimserver.pl.
            > >
            > > I created a soft link in "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimstart.sh" but the
            > > script does not run at bootup. I checked ps -A and no slimserver.
            > >
            > > What am I doing wrong?
            >
            > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl is
            in
            > /usr/local/bin/.

            Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename your
            softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"

            -Andre
          • daviseh
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
              > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl is
              in
              > /usr/local/bin/.
              >
              > -Andre

              Andre - I am really in over my head. I don't know what the perl files
              look like but I don't see anything like that in /usr/local/bin/. Just
              vlc, bison, xml, etc. However, I do see a symbolic link
              to "slimstart".

              Is there a way to get around this?

              I saw something about creating a USER named slimserver in one of the
              instructions but it was a more elaborate script. Does this give
              access and get around the security issue?

              Thanks,

              Ed
            • daviseh
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
                <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

                > the

                > but

                > > > good as
                > > If /"etc/
                > > the

                > > > Andre - Thanks for your resposne.
                > > >
                > > > The script is slimstart.sh. I enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
                > start"
                > > > and slimserver starts. I check ps -A and it shows slimserver.pl.
                > > >
                > > > I created a soft link in "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/slimstart.sh" but the
                > > > script does not run at bootup. I checked ps -A and no
                slimserver.

                > > > What am I doing wrong?
                > >
                > > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl
                is
                > in
                > > /usr/local/bin/.
                >
                > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename
                your
                > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
                >
                > -Andre

                Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that is
                preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not appear
                in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that the
                file already exists.

                I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you note to
                rename it.

                Have I corrupted my instalion?

                Ed
              • lalunas10
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                  > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                  > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>

                  > <daviseh@>

                  > > the

                  > of
                  > the
                  > setup
                  > > but

                  > looks
                  > > > If /"etc/
                  > in
                  > > > the

                  > > start"

                  > slimserver.

                  > > > The script may not run due to security restrictions if your perl
                  > is
                  > > in
                  > > > /usr/local/bin/.
                  > >
                  > > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong. Rename
                  > your
                  > > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
                  > >
                  > > -Andre
                  > >
                  > Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that is
                  > preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not
                  appear
                  > in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that the
                  > file already exists.
                  >
                  > I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you note
                  > rename it.
                  >
                  > Have I corrupted my instalion?

                  No, it wasn't there before ;)

                  You should be able to copy&paste the following into your terminal as a
                  block:

                  cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
                  rm slimstart* 2>/dev/null
                  ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh S90slimstart.sh
                  cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
                  ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
                  cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/
                  ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh

                  and would have all links created cleanly that way.

                  -Andre
                • daviseh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 11, 2006
                    <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daviseh" <daviseh@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                    > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

                    > > <daviseh@>

                    Slimserver
                    > on
                    > > > the

                    > > of
                    > > the
                    > > setup
                    > > > but

                    > > looks
                    0755 /etc/init.d/slimserver".
                    > > in
                    > rc2.d/

                    enter "/etc/init.d/slimstart.sh
                    > > > start"
                    > slimserver.pl.

                    > the
                    > > slimserver.

                    > > is
                    > > > in
                    > > >
                    > > > Also, and more probable, is the startup timing is wrong.
                    Rename
                    > > your
                    > > > softlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90slimstart.sh"
                    > > >
                    > > > -Andre
                    > > >
                    > > Sorry to bother you again but I think I have done something that
                    is
                    > > preventing me from creating a symbolic link. The link does not
                    > appear
                    > > in the folder but when I try to create it again, it says that
                    the
                    > > file already exists.
                    > >
                    > > I went into the folder and deleted the link before I read you
                    note
                    > > rename it.
                    > >
                    > > Have I corrupted my instalion?
                    >
                    > No, it wasn't there before ;)
                    >
                    > You should be able to copy&paste the following into your terminal
                    as a
                    > block:
                    >

                    > cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
                    > rm slimstart* 2>/dev/null
                    > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh S90slimstart.sh
                    > cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
                    > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
                    > cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/
                    > ln -s ../../init.d/slimstart.sh K90slimstart.sh
                    >

                    > and would have all links created cleanly that way.
                    >
                    > -Andre

                    Thanks Andre,

                    Slimserver is now running at bootup.

                    Ed