Re: add a second IP address permanently

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2006
      what do you want to achieve? why a second IP?

      regards
      mindbender

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "charlie7_1"
      <karl.engelbogen@...> wrote:

      > How can I add a second IP Address permanently?
      > I've tried to add in /etc/network/interfaces the following lines but
      > no success.
      >
      > iface eth0:1 inet static
      > address 192.168.0.4
      > netmask 255.255.255.0
      > broadcast 192.168.0.255
      > gateway 192.168.0.1
      >

      > any ideas?

    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2006
        <karl.engelbogen@...> wrote:

        > How can I add a second IP Address permanently?
        > I've tried to add in /etc/network/interfaces the following lines but
        > no success.
        >
        > iface eth0:1 inet static
        > address 192.168.0.4
        > netmask 255.255.255.0
        > broadcast 192.168.0.255
        > gateway 192.168.0.1

        Looks good to me. "ifconfig"?

        -Andre
      • av8r2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2006
          engelbogen@...> wrote:

          > How can I add a second IP Address permanently?
          > I've tried to add in /etc/network/interfaces the following lines but
          > no success.
          >
          > iface eth0:1 inet static
          > address 192.168.0.4
          > netmask 255.255.255.0
          > broadcast 192.168.0.255
          > gateway 192.168.0.1
          >

          > any ideas?

          Most likely you need an ifup eth0:1 in the appropriate startup
          script. For me, /etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S44networking has /sbin/ifup eth0
          and /sbin/ifup lo. Add /sbin/ifup eth0:1 in there somewhere...

          -Jon
        • Fernando Cassia
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2006
            It's simple, if you set up the LinkStation with 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x addresses simultaneously, this means you can move the LS between different home networks (one using 192.168.x.x OR 10.x.x.x) and you won't have to re-configure anything.

            FC

            On 4/9/06, cherrytreeproduction <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
            what do you want to achieve? why a second IP?

            regards
            mindbender

          • charlie7_1
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006