add a second IP address permanently

  • charlie7_1
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8 10:07 AM
      How can I add a second IP Address permanently?
      I've tried to add in /etc/network/interfaces the following lines but
      no success.

      iface eth0:1 inet static
      address 192.168.0.4
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      broadcast 192.168.0.255
      gateway 192.168.0.1

      any ideas?
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9 5:39 AM
        what do you want to achieve? why a second IP?

        regards
        mindbender

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "charlie7_1"
        <karl.engelbogen@...> wrote:

        > How can I add a second IP Address permanently?
        > I've tried to add in /etc/network/interfaces the following lines but
        > no success.
        >
        > iface eth0:1 inet static
        > address 192.168.0.4
        > netmask 255.255.255.0
        > broadcast 192.168.0.255
        > gateway 192.168.0.1
        >

        > any ideas?

      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10 3:47 AM
          <karl.engelbogen@...> wrote:

          > How can I add a second IP Address permanently?
          > I've tried to add in /etc/network/interfaces the following lines but
          > no success.
          >
          > iface eth0:1 inet static
          > address 192.168.0.4
          > netmask 255.255.255.0
          > broadcast 192.168.0.255
          > gateway 192.168.0.1

          Looks good to me. "ifconfig"?

          -Andre
        • av8r2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10 11:23 AM
            engelbogen@...> wrote:

            > How can I add a second IP Address permanently?
            > I've tried to add in /etc/network/interfaces the following lines but
            > no success.
            >
            > iface eth0:1 inet static
            > address 192.168.0.4
            > netmask 255.255.255.0
            > broadcast 192.168.0.255
            > gateway 192.168.0.1
            >

            > any ideas?

            Most likely you need an ifup eth0:1 in the appropriate startup
            script. For me, /etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S44networking has /sbin/ifup eth0
            and /sbin/ifup lo. Add /sbin/ifup eth0:1 in there somewhere...

            -Jon
          • Fernando Cassia

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 13 10:25 PM
                THX working great !