Re: Need HowTo and Install Files for OpenVPN on LS1

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6 8:41 AM
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "infobupkis" <public@...>
      wrote:
      > I can't get through to download
      > http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-
      v3.tar.gz
      > as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the
      file?

      Unfortunately, there isn't. My web space went down without notice when
      they switched to a different server, and I don't have a backup. The
      only binaries left are outdated and insecure; you can grab them from
      <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/archive/>. You should compile the
      most recent version from <http://openvpn.net> from scratch, my
      instructions plus a few files needed for an LS1 with the stock firmware
      are still available from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/>.

      -Andre
    • infobupkis
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6 12:31 PM
        Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:

        1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local

        Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
        avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix? Should
        I just leave it as you suggest?

        2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with

        ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/ifconfig
        --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
        --enable-pthread ; make ; make install

        Q: Same question on location etc

        3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and transfer
        them using tar

        Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
        they go on the LSI?

        TIA for your help.
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6 9:57 PM
          wrote:

          > Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:
          >
          > 1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local
          >
          > Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
          > avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix?
          Should
          > I just leave it as you suggest?

          That's up to you; but you need to make sure your system can find it
          (man ldconfig). Personally, I would put it into /usr/local, while /
          usr/local could be a symlink to, say, /mnt/local, or made accessible
          with "mount --bind" (man mount)

          > 2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with
          >
          > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/
          ifconfig
          > --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
          > --enable-pthread ; make ; make install
          >
          > Q: Same question on location etc

          s.a.; adjust $PATH if necessary

          > 3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and
          transfer
          > them using tar
          >
          > Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
          > they go on the LSI?

          <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/ls1-openvpn-configfiles.tar.gz>,
          it's right below the compilation instructions ;)

          -Andre