Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
      Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
      You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
      Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
      looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
      info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
      the right mode of FTP.

      It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
      inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
      to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
      host to test.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Larry Adams
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 6, 2006

        Yes

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
          I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location. When I
          enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the newtwork
          with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@65.a.b.123)
          it times out every time.

          I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y and
          a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
          router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
          Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
          192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21, and
          1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point to
          the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't access
          it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
          program or web browser...

          Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
          thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
          can discover something I overlooked.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
          <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

          > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
          > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
          > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
          > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
          > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
          > the right mode of FTP.
          >
          > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
          > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
          > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
          > host to test.
        • pfink
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
            Jeff wrote:
            > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location. When I
            > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the newtwork
            > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@65.a.b.123)
            > it times out every time.
            >
            > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y and
            > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
            > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
            > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
            > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21, and
            > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point to
            > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't access
            > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
            > program or web browser...
            >
            > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
            > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
            > can discover something I overlooked.

            Could your ISP possibly be blocking incoming FTP traffic?
          • KeepIt SimpleStupid
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
              Lets go way basic. DSL/Cable providers will close the
              connection if it doesn't see traffic from the inside
              of the LAN. That's where dyndys.org type systems come
              into play. Alternatively, a slingbox from
              www.slingbox.com or Best Buy has mechanisms that can
              allow you to get your IP address at home once you
              connect remotely. It does work.

              Or try this:

              From windows cmd prompt run telnet

              open 65.a.b.123 21

              or from a unix box:

              % telnet 65.a.b.123 21

              This will just try to open port 21. It doesn't know
              about FTP or the protocal or anything so don't let the
              word telnet fool you. Your telnetiing to port 21
              which is an FTP port and not a telnet port. This
              doesn't know about any of the other ports required for
              FTP.

              you might see:

              Trying 65.a.b.123...
              Connected to (somewhere.com).
              Escape character is '^]'.
              220 Somewhere.com FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2+Sun)
              ready.
              (I typed a return here)
              530 Please login with USER and PASS.

              This is an actual response from a Sun unix machine to
              itself. I also tried using windows to the sun and got
              the same result. You won't be able to log on.

              Get simple connectivity, then get the protocol to
              work.

              If you suspect FTP is being blocked try a finger
              client and server which uses port 79.

              If you have a Windows PC or whatever and get a finger
              server to work.

              So
              1) your ISP could be blocking FTP.
              2) your ISP has a short lease on your IP address.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • socaljbeezer
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                I too have a d-link router but my FTP setup is working flawlessly. I
                only forward port 21 thru the vitual server setup. I confirmed my
                settings against your post and it appears that you have everything
                correct. My linkstation gateway setting is disabled but Im not sure
                of this makes any difference in this system. I guess my only advice
                is to double check your access to the ftp share internally. I really
                doubt that your ISP could block access, so I would rule that out.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jfish_berean@...>
                wrote:

                > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
                When I
                > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
                newtwork
                > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@...)
                > it times out every time.
                >
                > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
                and
                > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
                and
                > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point
                > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
                access
                > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                > program or web browser...
                >
                > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                > can discover something I overlooked.
                >

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                > > the right mode of FTP.
                > >
                > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                > > host to test.

              • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                  --- socaljbeezer <jeff.baler@...> wrote:

                  I really
                  > doubt that your ISP could block access, so I would
                  > rule that out.

                  If you really doubt it, take a look here at a manual
                  for IPfilter.

                  http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/manuals/4000/007-4599-002/pdf/007-4599-002.pdf

                  What we have as consumers that we call a "router" is
                  only a small subset. At work their are 3 networks on
                  single "wire". A private one starting in 10 served by
                  DHCP that can only access the LAN unless the MAC
                  address is known by the router and a public one served
                  by DHCP and yet another public one that has static IP
                  addresses.

                  T-mobile WIFI hotspots like those at Borders Books and
                  Music forbid access to the standard SMTP port so you
                  can only use web mail applications.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • oseyboldt
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 19, 2006
                    Hi Jeff,
                    I had the same problem and I solved it by adding the router-IP
                    adress as a nameserver to the resolv.conf.

                    To do so log in via telnet/ssh,
                    cd /etc
                    vi resolv.conf (the file was empty in my case)
                    "i" (for insert text)
                    type "nameserver your.own.router.ip"
                    press "esc", ":" and "x"

                    then reboot and it should work (it did in my case).

                    Good luck,
                    Oliver

                    <jfish_berean@...> wrote:

                    > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
                    When I
                    > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
                    newtwork
                    > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@...)
                    > it times out every time.
                    >
                    > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
                    and
                    > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                    > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                    > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                    > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
                    and
                    > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to
                    point to
                    > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
                    access
                    > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                    > program or web browser...
                    >
                    > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                    > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                    > can discover something I overlooked.
                    >

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                    > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                    > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                    > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                    > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                    > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                    > > the right mode of FTP.
                    > >
                    > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                    > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                    > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                    > > host to test.

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 23, 2006
                      By doing what you suggested, I could open the port and got
                      "220 FTP Server Ready".

                      But when I finger the IP address, I get The name of the network and
                      then ">Finger:Connect::Connection Refused". I'm assuming that's
                      because I'm trying to finger the IP that I'm already using. And
                      doesn't necessarily tell me if our ISP is blocking FTP.

                      I know that it is not that the ISP has a short lease on the IP
                      address, because it has been the same for about 4 weeks now. And every
                      time I work on this project I check the WAN IP.

> [...]
                      > > it to see if I
                      > > can discover something I overlooked.
                      > >

                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt
                      > > SimpleStupid
                      > > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to
                      > > work.
                      > > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number
                      > > ports.
                      > > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                      > > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For
                      > > more
                      > > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to
                      > > use
                      > > > the right mode of FTP.
                      > > >
                      > > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp
                      > > from
                      > > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to
                      > > ssh
                      > > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from

                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
                        I'm anticipating this would solve my problem, but I can't login to
                        find out. I'm assuming I need to telnet the WAN IP address to get into
                        configure the modem itself to include the LS's IP address as a
                        nameserver? I either have a different username/password for the modem
                        than I thought I did or I don't have access to do this. If I can
                        figure out how to login, I'll let you know if this works.

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "oseyboldt" <oli@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jeff,
                        > I had the same problem and I solved it by adding the router-IP
                        > adress as a nameserver to the resolv.conf.
                        >
                        > To do so log in via telnet/ssh,
                        > cd /etc
                        > vi resolv.conf (the file was empty in my case)
                        > "i" (for insert text)
                        > type "nameserver your.own.router.ip"
                        > press "esc", ":" and "x"
                        >
                        > then reboot and it should work (it did in my case).
                        >
                        > Good luck,
                        > Oliver
                        >
                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
                        > <jfish_berean@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
                        > When I
                        > > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
                        > newtwork
                        > > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@)
                        > > it times out every time.
                        > >
                        > > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
                        > and
                        > > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                        > > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                        > > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                        > > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
                        > and
                        > > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to
                        > point to
                        > > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
                        > access
                        > > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                        > > program or web browser...
                        > >
                        > > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                        > > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                        > > can discover something I overlooked.
                        > >

                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                        > > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                        > > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                        > > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                        > > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                        > > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                        > > > the right mode of FTP.
                        > > >
                        > > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                        > > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                        > > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                        > > > host to test.

                      • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
                          Modems can be weird like mine. I have my DSL
                          configured in bridge mode. The only way I can
                          configure it is with a crossover cable directly
                          connected to the modem. This is neither here nor
                          there, though.

                          Routers on the other hand might be configured by
                          telnet or http. They usually have an option to allow
                          configuration from the WAN, otherwise they must be
                          configured from the LAN side only.

                          Your internal LAN when using DHCP gets the name server
                          address using DHCP. When you have a static IP
                          address, your nameserver and gateway for your LAN is
                          generally your router's IP address.

                          Without a gateway defined, you can't get outside your
                          LAN. Without a nameserver defined things like
                          www.google.com makes no sense, but 64.233.161.104
                          does.

                          The subnet mask determines what addresses the devices
                          on your LAN respond to. So, the most common subnet
                          mask of 255.255.255.0 means anything that matches the
                          first 3 digits of the IP address. Anything else the
                          router processes.

                          I checked on a Unix system "ifconfig -a" lists some of
                          the configuration parameters in a different form, but
                          not the gateway.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • bill fumerola
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
                            On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:17:22PM -0700, KeepIt SimpleStupid wrote:
                            > The subnet mask determines what addresses the devices
                            > on your LAN respond to. So, the most common subnet
                            > mask of 255.255.255.0 means anything that matches the
                            > first 3 digits of the IP address. Anything else the
                            > router processes.

                            it masks away the last octet of the IP address. a network of 1.1.1.0
                            with a mask of 255.255.255.0 means that addresses belonging to that
                            network are 1.1.1.0 through 1.1.1.255.

                            it's easier to think of it as a mask not as the decimal 255.255.255.0
                            but the hex 0xffffff00. 1.1.1.0 is 0x01010100. with our netmask in mind,
                            0x01010100 through 0x010101ff are part of the same network.

                            > I checked on a Unix system "ifconfig -a" lists some of
                            > the configuration parameters in a different form, but
                            > not the gateway.

                            interface ip assignment and routing are related but are two different
                            concepts and are tracked in different structures.

                            to see the a machine's gateway:
                            as an unprivleged user: 'netstat -nrt | grep default'
                            as root: 'route get 0.0.0.0'

                            -- bill
                          • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 26, 2006
                              --- bill fumerola <billf@...> wrote:

                              <snip>

                              Nice job:

                              So to get the deafult nameserver: "dig | grep default"

                              To get the default gateway
                              "netstat -nr | grep default"

                              and to find the IP address of the interfaces:
                              "ifconfig -a", a netmask of ffffff00 hex is really
                              255.255.255.0 in dotted decimal

                              Simplistic, but it's a place to start. The -t option
                              for netstat didn't work under SunOS.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com