Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • Scott Griswold
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
      20 and 21? I did open 21, but not 20. Could that be the issue?
      -Scott

      On Apr 5, 2006, at 10:16 PM, Larry Adams wrote:

      FTP requires you to open ports 20 and 21.

      TheWitness

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
        I have tried both passive and active modes and still cannot get a
        connection.

        > If your FTP client is trying to connect to the LS in
        > "passive" mode, try switching to "active" (or vice-versa.)

      • KeepIt SimpleStupid
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
          Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
          You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
          Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
          looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
          info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
          the right mode of FTP.

          It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
          inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
          to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
          host to test.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Larry Adams
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 6, 2006

            Yes

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
              I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location. When I
              enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the newtwork
              with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@65.a.b.123)
              it times out every time.

              I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y and
              a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
              router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
              Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
              192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21, and
              1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point to
              the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't access
              it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
              program or web browser...

              Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
              thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
              can discover something I overlooked.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
              <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

              > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
              > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
              > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
              > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
              > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
              > the right mode of FTP.
              >
              > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
              > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
              > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
              > host to test.
            • pfink
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                Jeff wrote:
                > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location. When I
                > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the newtwork
                > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@65.a.b.123)
                > it times out every time.
                >
                > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y and
                > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21, and
                > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point to
                > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't access
                > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                > program or web browser...
                >
                > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                > can discover something I overlooked.

                Could your ISP possibly be blocking incoming FTP traffic?
              • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                  Lets go way basic. DSL/Cable providers will close the
                  connection if it doesn't see traffic from the inside
                  of the LAN. That's where dyndys.org type systems come
                  into play. Alternatively, a slingbox from
                  www.slingbox.com or Best Buy has mechanisms that can
                  allow you to get your IP address at home once you
                  connect remotely. It does work.

                  Or try this:

                  From windows cmd prompt run telnet

                  open 65.a.b.123 21

                  or from a unix box:

                  % telnet 65.a.b.123 21

                  This will just try to open port 21. It doesn't know
                  about FTP or the protocal or anything so don't let the
                  word telnet fool you. Your telnetiing to port 21
                  which is an FTP port and not a telnet port. This
                  doesn't know about any of the other ports required for
                  FTP.

                  you might see:

                  Trying 65.a.b.123...
                  Connected to (somewhere.com).
                  Escape character is '^]'.
                  220 Somewhere.com FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2+Sun)
                  ready.
                  (I typed a return here)
                  530 Please login with USER and PASS.

                  This is an actual response from a Sun unix machine to
                  itself. I also tried using windows to the sun and got
                  the same result. You won't be able to log on.

                  Get simple connectivity, then get the protocol to
                  work.

                  If you suspect FTP is being blocked try a finger
                  client and server which uses port 79.

                  If you have a Windows PC or whatever and get a finger
                  server to work.

                  So
                  1) your ISP could be blocking FTP.
                  2) your ISP has a short lease on your IP address.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • socaljbeezer
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                    I too have a d-link router but my FTP setup is working flawlessly. I
                    only forward port 21 thru the vitual server setup. I confirmed my
                    settings against your post and it appears that you have everything
                    correct. My linkstation gateway setting is disabled but Im not sure
                    of this makes any difference in this system. I guess my only advice
                    is to double check your access to the ftp share internally. I really
                    doubt that your ISP could block access, so I would rule that out.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jfish_berean@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
                    When I
                    > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
                    newtwork
                    > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@...)
                    > it times out every time.
                    >
                    > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
                    and
                    > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                    > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                    > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                    > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
                    and
                    > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point
                    > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
                    access
                    > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                    > program or web browser...
                    >
                    > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                    > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                    > can discover something I overlooked.
                    >

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                    > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                    > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                    > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                    > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                    > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                    > > the right mode of FTP.
                    > >
                    > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                    > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                    > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                    > > host to test.

                  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                      --- socaljbeezer <jeff.baler@...> wrote:

                      I really
                      > doubt that your ISP could block access, so I would
                      > rule that out.

                      If you really doubt it, take a look here at a manual
                      for IPfilter.

                      http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/manuals/4000/007-4599-002/pdf/007-4599-002.pdf

                      What we have as consumers that we call a "router" is
                      only a small subset. At work their are 3 networks on
                      single "wire". A private one starting in 10 served by
                      DHCP that can only access the LAN unless the MAC
                      address is known by the router and a public one served
                      by DHCP and yet another public one that has static IP
                      addresses.

                      T-mobile WIFI hotspots like those at Borders Books and
                      Music forbid access to the standard SMTP port so you
                      can only use web mail applications.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • oseyboldt
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 19, 2006
                        Hi Jeff,
                        I had the same problem and I solved it by adding the router-IP
                        adress as a nameserver to the resolv.conf.

                        To do so log in via telnet/ssh,
                        cd /etc
                        vi resolv.conf (the file was empty in my case)
                        "i" (for insert text)
                        type "nameserver your.own.router.ip"
                        press "esc", ":" and "x"

                        then reboot and it should work (it did in my case).

                        Good luck,
                        Oliver

                        <jfish_berean@...> wrote:

                        > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
                        When I
                        > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
                        newtwork
                        > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@...)
                        > it times out every time.
                        >
                        > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
                        and
                        > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                        > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                        > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                        > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
                        and
                        > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to
                        point to
                        > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
                        access
                        > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                        > program or web browser...
                        >
                        > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                        > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                        > can discover something I overlooked.
                        >

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                        > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                        > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                        > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                        > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                        > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                        > > the right mode of FTP.
                        > >
                        > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                        > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                        > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                        > > host to test.

                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 23, 2006
                          By doing what you suggested, I could open the port and got
                          "220 FTP Server Ready".

                          But when I finger the IP address, I get The name of the network and
                          then ">Finger:Connect::Connection Refused". I'm assuming that's
                          because I'm trying to finger the IP that I'm already using. And
                          doesn't necessarily tell me if our ISP is blocking FTP.

                          I know that it is not that the ISP has a short lease on the IP
                          address, because it has been the same for about 4 weeks now. And every
                          time I work on this project I check the WAN IP.

> [...]
                          > > it to see if I
                          > > can discover something I overlooked.
                          > >

                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt
                          > > SimpleStupid
                          > > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to
                          > > work.
                          > > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number
                          > > ports.
                          > > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                          > > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For
                          > > more
                          > > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to
                          > > use
                          > > > the right mode of FTP.
                          > > >
                          > > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp
                          > > from
                          > > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to
                          > > ssh
                          > > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from

                        • Jeff
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
                            I'm anticipating this would solve my problem, but I can't login to
                            find out. I'm assuming I need to telnet the WAN IP address to get into
                            configure the modem itself to include the LS's IP address as a
                            nameserver? I either have a different username/password for the modem
                            than I thought I did or I don't have access to do this. If I can
                            figure out how to login, I'll let you know if this works.

                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "oseyboldt" <oli@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Jeff,
                            > I had the same problem and I solved it by adding the router-IP
                            > adress as a nameserver to the resolv.conf.
                            >
                            > To do so log in via telnet/ssh,
                            > cd /etc
                            > vi resolv.conf (the file was empty in my case)
                            > "i" (for insert text)
                            > type "nameserver your.own.router.ip"
                            > press "esc", ":" and "x"
                            >
                            > then reboot and it should work (it did in my case).
                            >
                            > Good luck,
                            > Oliver
                            >
                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
                            > <jfish_berean@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
                            > When I
                            > > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
                            > newtwork
                            > > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@)
                            > > it times out every time.
                            > >
                            > > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
                            > and
                            > > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                            > > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                            > > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                            > > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
                            > and
                            > > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to
                            > point to
                            > > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
                            > access
                            > > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                            > > program or web browser...
                            > >
                            > > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                            > > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                            > > can discover something I overlooked.
                            > >

                            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                            > > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                            > > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                            > > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                            > > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                            > > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                            > > > the right mode of FTP.
                            > > >
                            > > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                            > > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                            > > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                            > > > host to test.

                          • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
                              Modems can be weird like mine. I have my DSL
                              configured in bridge mode. The only way I can
                              configure it is with a crossover cable directly
                              connected to the modem. This is neither here nor
                              there, though.

                              Routers on the other hand might be configured by
                              telnet or http. They usually have an option to allow
                              configuration from the WAN, otherwise they must be
                              configured from the LAN side only.

                              Your internal LAN when using DHCP gets the name server
                              address using DHCP. When you have a static IP
                              address, your nameserver and gateway for your LAN is
                              generally your router's IP address.

                              Without a gateway defined, you can't get outside your
                              LAN. Without a nameserver defined things like
                              www.google.com makes no sense, but 64.233.161.104
                              does.

                              The subnet mask determines what addresses the devices
                              on your LAN respond to. So, the most common subnet
                              mask of 255.255.255.0 means anything that matches the
                              first 3 digits of the IP address. Anything else the
                              router processes.

                              I checked on a Unix system "ifconfig -a" lists some of
                              the configuration parameters in a different form, but
                              not the gateway.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • bill fumerola
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
                                On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:17:22PM -0700, KeepIt SimpleStupid wrote:
                                > The subnet mask determines what addresses the devices
                                > on your LAN respond to. So, the most common subnet
                                > mask of 255.255.255.0 means anything that matches the
                                > first 3 digits of the IP address. Anything else the
                                > router processes.

                                it masks away the last octet of the IP address. a network of 1.1.1.0
                                with a mask of 255.255.255.0 means that addresses belonging to that
                                network are 1.1.1.0 through 1.1.1.255.

                                it's easier to think of it as a mask not as the decimal 255.255.255.0
                                but the hex 0xffffff00. 1.1.1.0 is 0x01010100. with our netmask in mind,
                                0x01010100 through 0x010101ff are part of the same network.

                                > I checked on a Unix system "ifconfig -a" lists some of
                                > the configuration parameters in a different form, but
                                > not the gateway.

                                interface ip assignment and routing are related but are two different
                                concepts and are tracked in different structures.

                                to see the a machine's gateway:
                                as an unprivleged user: 'netstat -nrt | grep default'
                                as root: 'route get 0.0.0.0'

                                -- bill
                              • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 26, 2006
                                  --- bill fumerola <billf@...> wrote:

                                  <snip>

                                  Nice job:

                                  So to get the deafult nameserver: "dig | grep default"

                                  To get the default gateway
                                  "netstat -nr | grep default"

                                  and to find the IP address of the interfaces:
                                  "ifconfig -a", a netmask of ffffff00 hex is really
                                  255.255.255.0 in dotted decimal

                                  Simplistic, but it's a place to start. The -t option
                                  for netstat didn't work under SunOS.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com