Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • pfink
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
      Scott Griswold wrote:
      > I too am getting the same issue, however, after some time, about 2 or
      > 3 minutes, the server will prompt me for a username and password.
      > However, when I enter them, I am told that they are incorrect. I have
      > reset them and double and triple checked that they are correct.
      > Same result. I'll try the Active/Passive suggestion made in a
      > subsequent message. But the fact that it gets as far as the prompt
      > makes me wonder if the problem is with the FTP server on the LS.

      That sounds like the FTP server may be trying to do a
      reverse lookup before prompting you to login.

      If you're using ProFTPd on the server try adding these
      two lines to the proftp.conf file and then restart the
      FTP daemon:

      UseReverseDNS off
      IdentLookups off

      If you're using some other FTP daemon then you'll have
      to check the documentation for the appropriate settings.
    • Scott Griswold
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
        I am using the built in FTP server option. This is not a hacked LS,
        but a Stock HD-HG250LAN.

        -Scott

        On Apr 5, 2006, at 9:37 PM, pfink wrote:

        > Scott Griswold wrote:
        >> I too am getting the same issue, however, after some time, about 2 or
        >> 3 minutes, the server will prompt me for a username and password.
        >> However, when I enter them, I am told that they are incorrect. I have
        >> reset them and double and triple checked that they are correct.
        >> Same result. I'll try the Active/Passive suggestion made in a
        >> subsequent message. But the fact that it gets as far as the prompt
        >> makes me wonder if the problem is with the FTP server on the LS.
        >
        > That sounds like the FTP server may be trying to do a
        > reverse lookup before prompting you to login.
        >
        > If you're using ProFTPd on the server try adding these
        > two lines to the proftp.conf file and then restart the
        > FTP daemon:
        >
        > UseReverseDNS off
        > IdentLookups off
        >

        > If you're using some other FTP daemon then you'll have
        > to check the documentation for the appropriate settings.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Larry Adams
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006

          FTP requires you to open ports 20 and 21.

          TheWitness

          I am using the built in FTP server option. This is not a hacked LS,
          but a Stock HD-HG250LAN.

          -Scott

          On Apr 5, 2006, at 9:37 PM, pfink wrote:

          > Scott Griswold wrote:
          >> I too am getting the same issue, however, after some time, about 2 or
          >> 3 minutes, the server will prompt me for a username and password.
          >> However, when I enter them, I am told that they are incorrect. I have
          >> reset them and double and triple checked that they are correct.
          >> Same result. I'll try the Active/Passive suggestion made in a
          >> subsequent message. But the fact that it gets as far as the prompt
          >> makes me wonder if the problem is with the FTP server on the LS.
          >
          > That sounds like the FTP server may be trying to do a
          > reverse lookup before prompting you to login.
          >
          > If you're using ProFTPd on the server try adding these
          > two lines to the proftp.conf file and then restart the
          > FTP daemon:
          >
          > UseReverseDNS                   off
          > IdentLookups                    off
          >

          > If you're using some other FTP daemon then you'll have
          > to check the documentation for the appropriate settings.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Scott Griswold
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
            20 and 21? I did open 21, but not 20. Could that be the issue?
            -Scott

            On Apr 5, 2006, at 10:16 PM, Larry Adams wrote:

            FTP requires you to open ports 20 and 21.

            TheWitness

            I am using the built in FTP server option. This is not a hacked LS,
            but a Stock HD-HG250LAN.

            -Scott

            On Apr 5, 2006, at 9:37 PM, pfink wrote:

            > Scott Griswold wrote:
            >> I too am getting the same issue, however, after some time, about 2 or
            >> 3 minutes, the server will prompt me for a username and password.
            >> However, when I enter them, I am told that they are incorrect. I have
            >> reset them and double and triple checked that they are correct.
            >> Same result. I'll try the Active/Passive suggestion made in a
            >> subsequent message. But the fact that it gets as far as the prompt
            >> makes me wonder if the problem is with the FTP server on the LS.
            >
            > That sounds like the FTP server may be trying to do a
            > reverse lookup before prompting you to login.
            >
            > If you're using ProFTPd on the server try adding these
            > two lines to the proftp.conf file and then restart the
            > FTP daemon:
            >
            > UseReverseDNS                   off
            > IdentLookups                    off
            >

            > If you're using some other FTP daemon then you'll have
            > to check the documentation for the appropriate settings.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
              I have tried both passive and active modes and still cannot get a
              connection.

              > If your FTP client is trying to connect to the LS in
              > "passive" mode, try switching to "active" (or vice-versa.)

            • KeepIt SimpleStupid
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
                Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                the right mode of FTP.

                It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                host to test.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Larry Adams
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 6, 2006

                  Yes

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                    I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location. When I
                    enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the newtwork
                    with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@65.a.b.123)
                    it times out every time.

                    I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y and
                    a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                    router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                    Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                    192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21, and
                    1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point to
                    the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't access
                    it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                    program or web browser...

                    Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                    thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                    can discover something I overlooked.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                    <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

                    > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                    > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                    > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                    > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                    > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                    > the right mode of FTP.
                    >
                    > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                    > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                    > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                    > host to test.
                  • pfink
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                      Jeff wrote:
                      > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location. When I
                      > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the newtwork
                      > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@65.a.b.123)
                      > it times out every time.
                      >
                      > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y and
                      > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                      > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                      > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                      > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21, and
                      > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point to
                      > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't access
                      > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                      > program or web browser...
                      >
                      > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                      > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                      > can discover something I overlooked.

                      Could your ISP possibly be blocking incoming FTP traffic?
                    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                        Lets go way basic. DSL/Cable providers will close the
                        connection if it doesn't see traffic from the inside
                        of the LAN. That's where dyndys.org type systems come
                        into play. Alternatively, a slingbox from
                        www.slingbox.com or Best Buy has mechanisms that can
                        allow you to get your IP address at home once you
                        connect remotely. It does work.

                        Or try this:

                        From windows cmd prompt run telnet

                        open 65.a.b.123 21

                        or from a unix box:

                        % telnet 65.a.b.123 21

                        This will just try to open port 21. It doesn't know
                        about FTP or the protocal or anything so don't let the
                        word telnet fool you. Your telnetiing to port 21
                        which is an FTP port and not a telnet port. This
                        doesn't know about any of the other ports required for
                        FTP.

                        you might see:

                        Trying 65.a.b.123...
                        Connected to (somewhere.com).
                        Escape character is '^]'.
                        220 Somewhere.com FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2+Sun)
                        ready.
                        (I typed a return here)
                        530 Please login with USER and PASS.

                        This is an actual response from a Sun unix machine to
                        itself. I also tried using windows to the sun and got
                        the same result. You won't be able to log on.

                        Get simple connectivity, then get the protocol to
                        work.

                        If you suspect FTP is being blocked try a finger
                        client and server which uses port 79.

                        If you have a Windows PC or whatever and get a finger
                        server to work.

                        So
                        1) your ISP could be blocking FTP.
                        2) your ISP has a short lease on your IP address.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • socaljbeezer
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                          I too have a d-link router but my FTP setup is working flawlessly. I
                          only forward port 21 thru the vitual server setup. I confirmed my
                          settings against your post and it appears that you have everything
                          correct. My linkstation gateway setting is disabled but Im not sure
                          of this makes any difference in this system. I guess my only advice
                          is to double check your access to the ftp share internally. I really
                          doubt that your ISP could block access, so I would rule that out.

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jfish_berean@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
                          When I
                          > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
                          newtwork
                          > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@...)
                          > it times out every time.
                          >
                          > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
                          and
                          > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                          > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                          > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                          > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
                          and
                          > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point
                          > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
                          access
                          > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                          > program or web browser...
                          >
                          > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                          > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                          > can discover something I overlooked.
                          >

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                          > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                          > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                          > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                          > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                          > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                          > > the right mode of FTP.
                          > >
                          > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                          > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                          > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                          > > host to test.

                        • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                            --- socaljbeezer <jeff.baler@...> wrote:

                            I really
                            > doubt that your ISP could block access, so I would
                            > rule that out.

                            If you really doubt it, take a look here at a manual
                            for IPfilter.

                            http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/manuals/4000/007-4599-002/pdf/007-4599-002.pdf

                            What we have as consumers that we call a "router" is
                            only a small subset. At work their are 3 networks on
                            single "wire". A private one starting in 10 served by
                            DHCP that can only access the LAN unless the MAC
                            address is known by the router and a public one served
                            by DHCP and yet another public one that has static IP
                            addresses.

                            T-mobile WIFI hotspots like those at Borders Books and
                            Music forbid access to the standard SMTP port so you
                            can only use web mail applications.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • oseyboldt
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 19, 2006
                              Hi Jeff,
                              I had the same problem and I solved it by adding the router-IP
                              adress as a nameserver to the resolv.conf.

                              To do so log in via telnet/ssh,
                              cd /etc
                              vi resolv.conf (the file was empty in my case)
                              "i" (for insert text)
                              type "nameserver your.own.router.ip"
                              press "esc", ":" and "x"

                              then reboot and it should work (it did in my case).

                              Good luck,
                              Oliver

                              <jfish_berean@...> wrote:

                              > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
                              When I
                              > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
                              newtwork
                              > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@...)
                              > it times out every time.
                              >
                              > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
                              and
                              > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                              > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                              > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                              > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
                              and
                              > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to
                              point to
                              > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
                              access
                              > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                              > program or web browser...
                              >
                              > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                              > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                              > can discover something I overlooked.
                              >

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                              > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                              > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                              > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                              > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                              > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                              > > the right mode of FTP.
                              > >
                              > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                              > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                              > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                              > > host to test.

                            • Jeff
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 23, 2006
                                By doing what you suggested, I could open the port and got
                                "220 FTP Server Ready".

                                But when I finger the IP address, I get The name of the network and
                                then ">Finger:Connect::Connection Refused". I'm assuming that's
                                because I'm trying to finger the IP that I'm already using. And
                                doesn't necessarily tell me if our ISP is blocking FTP.

                                I know that it is not that the ISP has a short lease on the IP
                                address, because it has been the same for about 4 weeks now. And every
                                time I work on this project I check the WAN IP.

> [...]
                                > > it to see if I
                                > > can discover something I overlooked.
                                > >

                                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt
                                > > SimpleStupid
                                > > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to
                                > > work.
                                > > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number
                                > > ports.
                                > > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                                > > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For
                                > > more
                                > > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to
                                > > use
                                > > > the right mode of FTP.
                                > > >
                                > > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp
                                > > from
                                > > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to
                                > > ssh
                                > > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from

                              • Jeff
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
                                  I'm anticipating this would solve my problem, but I can't login to
                                  find out. I'm assuming I need to telnet the WAN IP address to get into
                                  configure the modem itself to include the LS's IP address as a
                                  nameserver? I either have a different username/password for the modem
                                  than I thought I did or I don't have access to do this. If I can
                                  figure out how to login, I'll let you know if this works.

                                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "oseyboldt" <oli@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Jeff,
                                  > I had the same problem and I solved it by adding the router-IP
                                  > adress as a nameserver to the resolv.conf.
                                  >
                                  > To do so log in via telnet/ssh,
                                  > cd /etc
                                  > vi resolv.conf (the file was empty in my case)
                                  > "i" (for insert text)
                                  > type "nameserver your.own.router.ip"
                                  > press "esc", ":" and "x"
                                  >
                                  > then reboot and it should work (it did in my case).
                                  >
                                  > Good luck,
                                  > Oliver
                                  >
                                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
                                  > <jfish_berean@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
                                  > When I
                                  > > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
                                  > newtwork
                                  > > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@)
                                  > > it times out every time.
                                  > >
                                  > > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
                                  > and
                                  > > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
                                  > > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
                                  > > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
                                  > > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
                                  > and
                                  > > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to
                                  > point to
                                  > > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
                                  > access
                                  > > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
                                  > > program or web browser...
                                  > >
                                  > > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
                                  > > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
                                  > > can discover something I overlooked.
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                                  > > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
                                  > > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
                                  > > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
                                  > > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
                                  > > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
                                  > > > the right mode of FTP.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
                                  > > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
                                  > > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
                                  > > > host to test.

                                • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
                                    Modems can be weird like mine. I have my DSL
                                    configured in bridge mode. The only way I can
                                    configure it is with a crossover cable directly
                                    connected to the modem. This is neither here nor
                                    there, though.

                                    Routers on the other hand might be configured by
                                    telnet or http. They usually have an option to allow
                                    configuration from the WAN, otherwise they must be
                                    configured from the LAN side only.

                                    Your internal LAN when using DHCP gets the name server
                                    address using DHCP. When you have a static IP
                                    address, your nameserver and gateway for your LAN is
                                    generally your router's IP address.

                                    Without a gateway defined, you can't get outside your
                                    LAN. Without a nameserver defined things like
                                    www.google.com makes no sense, but 64.233.161.104
                                    does.

                                    The subnet mask determines what addresses the devices
                                    on your LAN respond to. So, the most common subnet
                                    mask of 255.255.255.0 means anything that matches the
                                    first 3 digits of the IP address. Anything else the
                                    router processes.

                                    I checked on a Unix system "ifconfig -a" lists some of
                                    the configuration parameters in a different form, but
                                    not the gateway.

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • bill fumerola
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 25, 2006
                                      On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:17:22PM -0700, KeepIt SimpleStupid wrote:
                                      > The subnet mask determines what addresses the devices
                                      > on your LAN respond to. So, the most common subnet
                                      > mask of 255.255.255.0 means anything that matches the
                                      > first 3 digits of the IP address. Anything else the
                                      > router processes.

                                      it masks away the last octet of the IP address. a network of 1.1.1.0
                                      with a mask of 255.255.255.0 means that addresses belonging to that
                                      network are 1.1.1.0 through 1.1.1.255.

                                      it's easier to think of it as a mask not as the decimal 255.255.255.0
                                      but the hex 0xffffff00. 1.1.1.0 is 0x01010100. with our netmask in mind,
                                      0x01010100 through 0x010101ff are part of the same network.

                                      > I checked on a Unix system "ifconfig -a" lists some of
                                      > the configuration parameters in a different form, but
                                      > not the gateway.

                                      interface ip assignment and routing are related but are two different
                                      concepts and are tracked in different structures.

                                      to see the a machine's gateway:
                                      as an unprivleged user: 'netstat -nrt | grep default'
                                      as root: 'route get 0.0.0.0'

                                      -- bill
                                    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 26, 2006
                                        --- bill fumerola <billf@...> wrote:

                                        <snip>

                                        Nice job:

                                        So to get the deafult nameserver: "dig | grep default"

                                        To get the default gateway
                                        "netstat -nr | grep default"

                                        and to find the IP address of the interfaces:
                                        "ifconfig -a", a netmask of ffffff00 hex is really
                                        255.255.255.0 in dotted decimal

                                        Simplistic, but it's a place to start. The -t option
                                        for netstat didn't work under SunOS.

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com