Re: Need HowTo and Install Files for OpenVPN on LS1

  • infobupkis
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5 9:59 AM
      Hi there-

      I can't get through to download
      http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
      as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the file?

      I'm eager to try this setup on my LS I.

      <lalunas10@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
      <schwab.thomas@m...>
      > wrote:
      > > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
      > > my VPN directory
      > > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
      > > in gzip format -- the
      > > terminal text is below...
      >
      > Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your
      system, albeit not the latest
      > version, which gave you this error.
      >
      > As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2
      instead of gzip. So
      > please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file,
      and "tar -C / -xvzf
      > openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest
      version of openvpn
      > should be installed on your system at this point.
      >
      > > Do I need to set up the module?
      >
      > Yo. Execute
      >
      > echo "tun" >> /etc/modules
      >
      > , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.
      >
      > > Where or how do I set up config files?
      >
      > Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like
      /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
      > etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when
      you execute "/etc/
      > init.d/openvpn restart".
      >
      > <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good
      explanations. I sent you a
      > sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.
      >
      > > Thanks.
      >
      > I hope this helps!
      >
      > -Andre

    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5 2:48 PM
        i think you will find the files needed at
        http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/... lalunas aka andre uses this
        webspace now...

        his linkstation isn`t always online as it sleeps some hours a day....

        so don`t give up...you will find what you are searching for i think.

        regards
        mindbender

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "infobupkis" <public@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi there-
        >
        > I can't get through to download

        http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
        > as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the
        file?

        > I'm eager to try this setup on my LS I.
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
        > <lalunas10@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
        > <schwab.thomas@m...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
        > > > my VPN directory
        > > > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
        > > > in gzip format -- the
        > > > terminal text is below...
        > >
        > > Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your
        > system, albeit not the latest
        > > version, which gave you this error.
        > >
        > > As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2
        > instead of gzip. So
        > > please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file,
        > and "tar -C / -xvzf
        > > openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest
        > version of openvpn
        > > should be installed on your system at this point.
        > >
        > > > Do I need to set up the module?
        > >
        > > Yo. Execute
        > >
        > > echo "tun" >> /etc/modules
        > >
        > > , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.
        > >
        > > > Where or how do I set up config files?
        > >
        > > Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like
        > /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
        > > etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when
        > you execute "/etc/
        > > init.d/openvpn restart".
        > >
        > > <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good
        > explanations. I sent you a
        > > sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.
        > >
        > > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > I hope this helps!
        > >
        > > -Andre

      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6 8:41 AM
          wrote:
          > I can't get through to download
          > http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-
          v3.tar.gz
          > as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the
          file?

          Unfortunately, there isn't. My web space went down without notice when
          they switched to a different server, and I don't have a backup. The
          only binaries left are outdated and insecure; you can grab them from
          <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/archive/>. You should compile the
          most recent version from <http://openvpn.net> from scratch, my
          instructions plus a few files needed for an LS1 with the stock firmware
          are still available from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/>.

          -Andre
        • infobupkis
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6 12:31 PM
            Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:

            1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local

            Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
            avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix? Should
            I just leave it as you suggest?

            2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with

            ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/ifconfig
            --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
            --enable-pthread ; make ; make install

            Q: Same question on location etc

            3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and transfer
            them using tar

            Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
            they go on the LSI?

            TIA for your help.
          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6 9:57 PM
              wrote:

              > Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:
              >
              > 1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local
              >
              > Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
              > avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix?
              Should
              > I just leave it as you suggest?

              That's up to you; but you need to make sure your system can find it
              (man ldconfig). Personally, I would put it into /usr/local, while /
              usr/local could be a symlink to, say, /mnt/local, or made accessible
              with "mount --bind" (man mount)

              > 2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with
              >
              > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/
              ifconfig
              > --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
              > --enable-pthread ; make ; make install
              >
              > Q: Same question on location etc

              s.a.; adjust $PATH if necessary

              > 3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and
              transfer
              > them using tar
              >
              > Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
              > they go on the LSI?

              <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/ls1-openvpn-configfiles.tar.gz>,
              it's right below the compilation instructions ;)

              -Andre