DHCP Failed - ACT/LINK light flickering

  • scottgriz
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26 12:41 PM
      I am attempting to troubleshoot a problem I am having with a new HD-HG250LAN
      Linkstation. I am trying to get it connected to a WRT-54G Linksys. When I connect it up, all
      I get is a flickering ACT/LINK light. Now I am not talking about the usual intermittent
      flicker you see when active. It shows a steady rapid blink (4 or 5 times per second).
      It will not establish a connection. I unlink it from the router and connect it directly to my
      laptop and I get a link and the ACT/LINK light behaves as expected.
      Once inside the admin tool, the IP section reads "DHCP Failed". And it assignes
      192.168.11.150 as a default. That is the address I used to connect directly since it shows
      it in the manual.
      I have exhausted every possible option. Different cables, removing other devices from the
      router. Using Static IP addresses will not yield a connection either. I just get the flickering
      light and nothing.
      Does anyone here have any thoughts on this? Does anyone else use WRT-54G routers and
      if so, what version are you using and what firmware version as well. Mine is about 3 years
      old and it is a v1.1 router running the latest firmware v4.20.7.
      I know they are up to v5 now and the firmware for that is v1.0.06.
      Lastly, before anyone thinks my router is the trouble. I use it for 2 computers and a
      vonage phone adapter and all of them pick up IP without a problem and talk to eachother
      without a problem.
      I'm tempted to pick up a new Linksys router, but before I drop money on that I thought I
      would try here.

      Thanks for your help everyone,
      Scott

      P.S. Has anyone here experiences the "Tech Support" that Buffalo offers? 24 hour
      NON-answering tech support. Can't beat it. I held for 45 minutes one day before giving
      up.
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27 1:05 AM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottgriz" <griz@...> wrote:

        > I am attempting to troubleshoot a problem I am having with a new
        HD-HG250LAN
        > Linkstation. I am trying to get it connected to a WRT-54G Linksys.
        When I connect it up, all
        > I get is a flickering ACT/LINK light. Now I am not talking about the
        usual intermittent
        > flicker you see when active. It shows a steady rapid blink (4 or 5
        times per second).
        > It will not establish a connection. I unlink it from the router and
        connect it directly to my
        > laptop and I get a link and the ACT/LINK light behaves as expected.
        > Once inside the admin tool, the IP section reads "DHCP Failed". And
        it assignes
        > 192.168.11.150 as a default. That is the address I used to connect
        directly since it shows
        > it in the manual.
        > I have exhausted every possible option. Different cables, removing
        other devices from the
        > router. Using Static IP addresses will not yield a connection
        either. I just get the flickering
        > light and nothing.
        > Does anyone here have any thoughts on this? Does anyone else use
        WRT-54G routers and
        > if so, what version are you using and what firmware version as well.
        Mine is about 3 years
        > old and it is a v1.1 router running the latest firmware v4.20.7.
        > I know they are up to v5 now and the firmware for that is v1.0.06.
        > Lastly, before anyone thinks my router is the trouble. I use it for
        2 computers and a
        > vonage phone adapter and all of them pick up IP without a problem
        and talk to eachother
        > without a problem.
        > I'm tempted to pick up a new Linksys router, but before I drop money
        on that I thought I
        > would try here.
        >
        > Thanks for your help everyone,
        > Scott
        >
        > P.S. Has anyone here experiences the "Tech Support" that Buffalo
        offers? 24 hour
        > NON-answering tech support. Can't beat it. I held for 45 minutes one
        day before giving
        > up.

        Did you try the IP utility that come with the LinkStation CD?
        Or, did you try to make the LS to have a static IP?
      • Scott Griswold
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27 4:48 AM
          Thanks,
          I did try a static IP and the utility. The utility did not see the
          linkstation when I tried to view the list of connected linkstations.
          The router is simply not seeing it when connected. Plus the behavior
          of the ACT light is just not consistent with a working connection.
          -Scott

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27 5:32 AM
            What I mean is to assign a static IP for the LS. When you directly
            connect the LS to your PC, you can go to the web-based admin page to
            set this.

            For the router, I am running a buffalo one, flashed with dd-wrt (a
            hacked firmware for Linksys WRT54G). Maybe you want to give it a
            try. Note the risks before you do so.

            However, I suggest you connect the LS to another switch as a test
            before you try anything. Maybe you get a defect LS.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Scott Griswold

          • griz@hitchhiker.org
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27 6:55 AM
              Yes, I understand what you are saying. I did assign the static IP via the
              web based admin tool for the LS. Still nothing on the WRT54g. I have
              tested it on my vonage box which is also a router. Works fine but still it
              will not assign an IP via DHCP. (Not a real issue, but I don't like it
              when brand new things don't work as promised).
              However, all my other devices work on my WRT. Seems to be an
              incompatibility with the LS. ONe of my coworkers suspects the
              autonegotiation of the x-over cable. So I am going to try connecting it
              with a x-over cable rather than the supplied cable.
              If this doesn't work. I'll be shipping it back to Newegg for replacement.
              If that one still has the same issue, I will be replacing the WRT54g or
              perhaps hacking the firmware first as a last ditch effort.
              -Scott