Updating Samba on an LSII

  • g0pkh
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2006
      Hi all.

      I have just purchased another Mipsel LSII.
      I am very much a newbie with Linux, but have succesfully installed
      Openlink, and Twonkyvision on my other LSII.

      I do not want to get too involved with Linux applications as such,
      but would very much like to improve the Samba on this new LSII, as I
      find the stock installation too limiting with share permissions.

      I am aware of Samba 3.xx being available along with the SWAT admin
      tool

      I would like to install this on my new Mipsel LSII, but do not really
      know where to start.
      What firmware will support the installation ? Openlink. Or do I have
      to go the Debian route (which I do not understand, and don't really
      need).

      The files for Samba 3.09 are available in the files section on this
      group, I know that, but would very much like a little help, and
      pointers how to go about installing.

      Many Thanks

      Pete
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "g0pkh"
        <peter.hillyer@...> wrote:

        > Hi all.
        >
        > I have just purchased another Mipsel LSII.
        > I am very much a newbie with Linux, but have succesfully installed
        > Openlink, and Twonkyvision on my other LSII.
        >
        > I do not want to get too involved with Linux applications as such,
        > but would very much like to improve the Samba on this new LSII, as I
        > find the stock installation too limiting with share permissions.
        >
        > I am aware of Samba 3.xx being available along with the SWAT admin
        > tool
        >
        > I would like to install this on my new Mipsel LSII, but do not really
        > know where to start.
        > What firmware will support the installation ? Openlink. Or do I have
        > to go the Debian route (which I do not understand, and don't really
        > need).
        >
        > The files for Samba 3.09 are available in the files section on this
        > group, I know that, but would very much like a little help, and
        > pointers how to go about installing.
        >

        > Many Thanks
        >
        > Pete

        If you go for Debian, it will surely ease your package management
        efforts. Just an apt-get can get samba running in a minute.

        If you want to stick to Openlink, I do have documented my steps in
        updating samba. However, I cannot retrieve it until a week later when
        my web server is up again.
      • g0pkh
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
          <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "g0pkh"
          > <peter.hillyer@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all.
          > >
          > > I have just purchased another Mipsel LSII.
          > > I am very much a newbie with Linux, but have succesfully installed
          > > Openlink, and Twonkyvision on my other LSII.
          > >
          > > I do not want to get too involved with Linux applications as such,
          > > but would very much like to improve the Samba on this new LSII,
          as I
          > > find the stock installation too limiting with share permissions.
          > >
          > > I am aware of Samba 3.xx being available along with the SWAT admin
          > > tool
          > >
          > > I would like to install this on my new Mipsel LSII, but do not
          really
          > > know where to start.
          > > What firmware will support the installation ? Openlink. Or do I
          have
          > > to go the Debian route (which I do not understand, and don't
          really
          > > need).
          > >
          > > The files for Samba 3.09 are available in the files section on
          this
          > > group, I know that, but would very much like a little help, and
          > > pointers how to go about installing.
          > >

          > > Many Thanks
          > >
          > > Pete
          > >

          > If you go for Debian, it will surely ease your package management
          > efforts. Just an apt-get can get samba running in a minute.
          >
          > If you want to stick to Openlink, I do have documented my steps in
          > updating samba. However, I cannot retrieve it until a week later
          when
          > my web server is up again.

          Calvinlsc.

          Many thanks for your reply.

          I would prefer if possible to stay with Openlink f/w for the moment,
          as I already have it on my first LSII, and I am familiar enough with
          flashing that.

          I do only really want the extra functionality of SWAT to control
          extra share permissions, and perhaps play with other samba
          possibilities (PDC's etc).

          However, that aside Debian sounds interesting, and if it is easy to
          install might be an option. I was rather confused by the install info
          on the Wiki, but if there are easier ways, then I am listening.

          I would appreciate it, if you would look out those instructions for
          me when you do get your web server back on line, (or email them to me
          perhaps).

          Kind Regards

          Pete
        • calvinlsc
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1 7:55 AM
            Getting Debian running on LSII is very easy. Just run a script, and
            everything's done.

            I used to run Openlink, but turned to run Debian just a week ago.
            When I was on the openlink, I get lighttpd and pmwiki, and document
            everything there.

            However, I lose nearly all my data when I play with debian. So, the
            article is lost I am afraid.

            Basically, I get samba running by following steps:

            1. Openlink
            2. Development tools from the linkstationwiki
            3. compile samba at /usr/local, pid in /var/run
            4. backup the old smb.conf
            5. symbolic link to /usr/local/etc/smb.conf in the old directory
            6. write a script using awd to change smb.conf on every boot