Re: LS II fan - kill processes to make it quiet ?

  • born_daniel
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2006
      Describe the louder fan noise... is it the same sound as the softer
      one but just louder or is it making a whirring sound?

      I don't think it's based on CPU useage / amount of heat generated but
      rather in startup script, it'll switch the fan to the higher speed.

      In any case, slimserver will be the process that uses the most CPU
      cycles. Most every other process is simply sleeping unless you make
      heavy use of it (such as Samba).

      The fan speed setting is usually hidden from the web interface but
      there is a way to "unhide" it. I don't remember how though... Look in
      the .pl files if you're so inclined (or use the search function in the
      forum, I might have even written something about it some time last
      year...)

      Daniel

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Jay" <lists@...>