To Do List

  • Thom Mason
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
      Here's a stab at things that might be worthwhile to explore:

      1) find a suitable distribution to draw on so that we can use
      existing ppc binaries. Of course anything that works is good but it
      might be helpful if we took a common approach since then we could
      benefit from each others experiences in uncovering conflicts,
      inconsistencies etc that might differ depending on filesystem
      structure etc. Possibilities are:

      Yellowdog: http:
      http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/yellowdog/index.html
      (3.0 seems the most comprehensive and up to date - 4.0 doesn't seem
      to be available at rpmfind)

      Fedora Development core ppc:
      http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/development/ppc/index.html

      2) get a toolchain built:
      Crosstool should be up to the task since it is well tested for ppc
      http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/

      3) alternatively get gcc etc working on the Linkstation - may be
      stressing the linkstation's little brain a bit so cross compiling is
      likely the way to go.

      4) Slimserver - based on perl but uses lots of memory - there is
      talk of a Slimserver lite that might be more suitable if it surfaces
      (maybe we could get the Slimdevices people motivated)

      5) mt-daapd

      6) dropbear

      7) nfsd

      8) etc...

      Please chime in with ideas.

      Thom
    • Derek Taubert
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
        On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 08:54:04PM -0000, Thom Mason wrote:
        > Here's a stab at things that might be worthwhile to explore:
        >
        > 1) find a suitable distribution to draw on so that we can use
        > existing ppc binaries. Of course anything that works is good but it
        > might be helpful if we took a common approach since then we could
        > benefit from each others experiences in uncovering conflicts,
        > inconsistencies etc that might differ depending on filesystem
        > structure etc. Possibilities are:
        >
        > Yellowdog: http:
        > http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/yellowdog/index.html
        > (3.0 seems the most comprehensive and up to date - 4.0 doesn't seem
        > to be available at rpmfind)
        >
        > Fedora Development core ppc:
        > http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/development/ppc/index.html
        >
        > 2) get a toolchain built:
        > Crosstool should be up to the task since it is well tested for ppc
        > http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/
        >
        > 3) alternatively get gcc etc working on the Linkstation - may be
        > stressing the linkstation's little brain a bit so cross compiling is
        > likely the way to go.

        I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-2.59.3
        (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo seems to
        have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a cross
        compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this easily.

        > 4) Slimserver - based on perl but uses lots of memory - there is
        > talk of a Slimserver lite that might be more suitable if it surfaces
        > (maybe we could get the Slimdevices people motivated)
        >
        > 5) mt-daapd

        I'd like to see a upnp compatible media server (like for the Linksys
        WMLS11B). I don't know enough about Slimserver/daap to know if they
        handle this...

        > 6) dropbear
        >
        > 7) nfsd

        This might be _very_ easy. The linkstation already has the nfs.o and
        nfsd.o kernel modules installed.

        Derek

        > 8) etc...
        >
        > Please chime in with ideas.
        >
        > Thom
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Thom Mason
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
          Derek,

          What was involved in getting rpm up and running?

          Thom
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
          <taubert@g...> wrote:
          > I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-
          2.59.3
          > (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo
          seems to
          > have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a
          cross
          > compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this
          easily.

        • Derek Taubert
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
            I didn't run rpm on the box, as I knew the available packages would have
            incompatibilities. I picked out certain files with rpm2cpio | cpio -i and
            just copied them over.

            I'm almost done with a cross compiler, but I need some standard include
            files for the OS/platform. Wish they would have provided these in the GPL
            zip. Will try to pluck them out of a linux dist...

            Derek

            On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:32:10AM -0000, Thom Mason wrote:
            > Derek,
            >
            > What was involved in getting rpm up and running?
            >
            > Thom
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
            > <taubert@g...> wrote:
            > > I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-
            > 2.59.3
            > > (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo
            > seems to
            > > have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a
            > cross
            > > compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this
            > easily.
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Derek Taubert
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
              On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 06:58:15PM -0700, Derek Taubert wrote:

              > I didn't run rpm on the box, as I knew the available packages would have
              > incompatibilities. I picked out certain files with rpm2cpio | cpio -i and
              > just copied them over.
              >
              > I'm almost done with a cross compiler, but I need some standard include
              > files for the OS/platform. Wish they would have provided these in the GPL
              > zip. Will try to pluck them out of a linux dist...

              Err, looks like I can get them out of the glibc rpm from the GPL zip.
              Setting up a cross system to handle these GPL rpms is a bit of work. Lots
              of custom stuff in those spec files...

              Derek

              > Derek
              >

              > On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:32:10AM -0000, Thom Mason wrote:
              > > Derek,
              > >
              > > What was involved in getting rpm up and running?
              > >
              > > Thom
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
              > > <taubert@g...> wrote:
              > > > I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-
              > > 2.59.3
              > > > (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo
              > > seems to
              > > > have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a
              > > cross
              > > > compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this
              > > easily.
              > > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Matthew Flint
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
                <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
                > Here's a stab at things that might be worthwhile to explore:
                > 8) etc...
                >
                > Please chime in with ideas.

                - Kernel support for other USB devices, such as 802.11b/g adapters.

                - routing functions (so can be used as a cheap wireless router)

                - a WiKi hosted somewhere, lest we start losing good information in
                the Yahoo group

                Matthew