Re: [LinkStation_General] Off Site Backups?

  • pfink
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2006
      Amazon's pricing really isn't very cheap if you're backing up
      a lot of data. It's not too bad if you have a smallish amount
      of data that needs to be backed up regularly but for larger
      amounts of data you're probably better off uploading to a
      dedicated offsite server.

      For instance, if you have a 160GB LinkStation (full) and you want
      to back up the entire thing once per month you're talking:

      .15 x 160 = $24 for storage
      -and-
      .20 x 160 = $32 for data transfer

      so $56 for one full backup per month with Amazon.

      On the other hand you can lease a dedicated server with 240GB
      of storage and 1000GB transfer per month for $75, which would
      allow for weekly backups without incurring extra bandwidth costs.

      I apologize if my calculations are off, I dashed this off pretty
      quickly...

      jhmelby wrote:
      > I noticed Amazon is getting into the web-based data storage business.
      > Initial pricing looks attractive:
      >
      > * store data for 15 cents per GB per month
      > * transfer data for 20 cents per GB
      >
      > I think it would be really useful if someone created a utility that
      > could do periodic backups from LinkStation to this type of service.
      >
      > Here's a link to more info about the storage service
      >
      > http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=aws_gen_nl15s3dp?node=16427261
      > <http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=aws_gen_nl15s3dp?node=16427261\
      >
      > ... just something to think about.
      >

      > Jonathan

    • Fernando Cassia

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jhmelby" <jhm1yahoo@...>
          wrote:
          > I noticed Amazon is getting into the web-based data storage business.
          > Initial pricing looks attractive:

          Well, Google and other freemailers (like the german service GMX) are
          offering 1 gig free space and free traffic. There are tools for using
          gmail to store files. GMX offers a webdav connect to store files.

          If s/b writes a tool then why not for these free services?

          Best,
          h.