Re: [LinkStation_General] Off Site Backups?

  • Fernando Cassia
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2006
      Hey! you stole my idea!!. ;-)

      <just kidding, but I really thought about it> ;-)

      FC

      On 3/15/06, jhmelby <jhm1yahoo@...> wrote:

      I noticed Amazon is getting into the web-based data storage business. Initial pricing looks attractive:

      • store data for 15 cents per GB per month
      • transfer data for 20 cents per GB

      I think it would be really useful if someone created a utility that could do periodic backups from LinkStation to this type of service.

      Here's a link to more info about the storage service

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=aws_gen_nl15s3dp?node=16427261

      .

    • pfink
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2006
        Amazon's pricing really isn't very cheap if you're backing up
        a lot of data. It's not too bad if you have a smallish amount
        of data that needs to be backed up regularly but for larger
        amounts of data you're probably better off uploading to a
        dedicated offsite server.

        For instance, if you have a 160GB LinkStation (full) and you want
        to back up the entire thing once per month you're talking:

        .15 x 160 = $24 for storage
        -and-
        .20 x 160 = $32 for data transfer

        so $56 for one full backup per month with Amazon.

        On the other hand you can lease a dedicated server with 240GB
        of storage and 1000GB transfer per month for $75, which would
        allow for weekly backups without incurring extra bandwidth costs.

        I apologize if my calculations are off, I dashed this off pretty
        quickly...

        jhmelby wrote:
        > I noticed Amazon is getting into the web-based data storage business.
        > Initial pricing looks attractive:
        >
        > * store data for 15 cents per GB per month
        > * transfer data for 20 cents per GB
        >
        > I think it would be really useful if someone created a utility that
        > could do periodic backups from LinkStation to this type of service.
        >
        > Here's a link to more info about the storage service
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=aws_gen_nl15s3dp?node=16427261
        > <http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=aws_gen_nl15s3dp?node=16427261\
        >
        > ... just something to think about.
        >

        > Jonathan

      • Fernando Cassia

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jhmelby" <jhm1yahoo@...>
            wrote:
            > I noticed Amazon is getting into the web-based data storage business.
            > Initial pricing looks attractive:

            Well, Google and other freemailers (like the german service GMX) are
            offering 1 gig free space and free traffic. There are tools for using
            gmail to store files. GMX offers a webdav connect to store files.

            If s/b writes a tool then why not for these free services?

            Best,
            h.