Off Site Backups?

  • jhmelby
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15 9:27 AM

      I noticed Amazon is getting into the web-based data storage business. Initial pricing looks attractive:

      • store data for 15 cents per GB per month
      • transfer data for 20 cents per GB

      I think it would be really useful if someone created a utility that could do periodic backups from LinkStation to this type of service.

      Here's a link to more info about the storage service

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=aws_gen_nl15s3dp?node=16427261

      ... just something to think about.

      Jonathan

    • Fernando Cassia

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15 2:42 PM
          Amazon's pricing really isn't very cheap if you're backing up
          a lot of data. It's not too bad if you have a smallish amount
          of data that needs to be backed up regularly but for larger
          amounts of data you're probably better off uploading to a
          dedicated offsite server.

          For instance, if you have a 160GB LinkStation (full) and you want
          to back up the entire thing once per month you're talking:

          .15 x 160 = $24 for storage
          -and-
          .20 x 160 = $32 for data transfer

          so $56 for one full backup per month with Amazon.

          On the other hand you can lease a dedicated server with 240GB
          of storage and 1000GB transfer per month for $75, which would
          allow for weekly backups without incurring extra bandwidth costs.

          I apologize if my calculations are off, I dashed this off pretty
          quickly...

          jhmelby wrote:
          > I noticed Amazon is getting into the web-based data storage business.
          > Initial pricing looks attractive:
          >
          > * store data for 15 cents per GB per month
          > * transfer data for 20 cents per GB
          >
          > I think it would be really useful if someone created a utility that
          > could do periodic backups from LinkStation to this type of service.
          >
          > Here's a link to more info about the storage service
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=aws_gen_nl15s3dp?node=16427261
          > <http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=aws_gen_nl15s3dp?node=16427261\
          >
          > ... just something to think about.
          >

          > Jonathan

        • Fernando Cassia

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16 1:39 AM
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jhmelby" <jhm1yahoo@...>
              wrote:
              > I noticed Amazon is getting into the web-based data storage business.
              > Initial pricing looks attractive:

              Well, Google and other freemailers (like the german service GMX) are
              offering 1 gig free space and free traffic. There are tools for using
              gmail to store files. GMX offers a webdav connect to store files.

              If s/b writes a tool then why not for these free services?

              Best,
              h.