LS II fan - kill processes to make it quiet ?

  • Richard Jay
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2006
      My LSII fan noise is much louder now than it was one week ago when I
      bought it. If I do a reboot it goes back to very quiet so I don't
      think this is a hardware problem. The only thing I use my LSII for is
      SlimServer so can I kill certain processes which may be making the
      machine run hot ? If so, which ones and how exactly do I prevent them
      from loading at startup ?
    • born_daniel
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22, 2006
        Describe the louder fan noise... is it the same sound as the softer
        one but just louder or is it making a whirring sound?

        I don't think it's based on CPU useage / amount of heat generated but
        rather in startup script, it'll switch the fan to the higher speed.

        In any case, slimserver will be the process that uses the most CPU
        cycles. Most every other process is simply sleeping unless you make
        heavy use of it (such as Samba).

        The fan speed setting is usually hidden from the web interface but
        there is a way to "unhide" it. I don't remember how though... Look in
        the .pl files if you're so inclined (or use the search function in the
        forum, I might have even written something about it some time last
        year...)

        Daniel

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Jay" <lists@...>