Hard drive upgrade help

  • vbulldog237
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2006
      Hi,
      i have a Linkstation Hd-HG160 with a hard drive thats going bad. so i
      want to put a bigger 250GB hd in it. could someone tell me the best way
      to do this and possably give me a step by step break down. I also want
      to put openlink on it, i dont know if i can just put it on the new hard
      drive or if i have to do it after i get it running. I have some linux
      knowlage, ive upgraded tivo's and had a linux server untill it broke. I
      was looking on the linkstationwiki.org and they have good a how too
      but it seems like im missing somthing.

      thanks for any help
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "vbulldog237"
        <Razor237@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > i have a Linkstation Hd-HG160 with a hard drive thats going bad. so
        > want to put a bigger 250GB hd in it. could someone tell me the best
        way
        > to do this and possably give me a step by step break down. I also
        want
        > to put openlink on it, i dont know if i can just put it on the new
        hard
        > drive or if i have to do it after i get it running. I have some
        linux
        > knowlage, ive upgraded tivo's and had a linux server untill it
        broke. I
        > was looking on the linkstationwiki.org and they have good a how
        too
        > but it seems like im missing somthing.
        >

        > thanks for any help

        Assume you are running stock firmware. Please be reminded that I only
        have a LS2, not HG. So, I haven't tested the solutions below.

        1> Backup the data from the LS
        2> Replace the HDD with your 250GB one (unformatted & unpartitioned)
        3> Turn on the LS and it will do the rest (partition, format, system
        files, etc.)
        4> Download Openlink from the wiki
        5> Flash it (with direct connection and all firewalls off)
        6> Re-establish your network (with switch)
        7> Turn on the LS, and restore the data
        8> Enjoy