Re: Linkstation network printing port?

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cecilprocter" <yahoo.com@...> wrote:

      > I've spent a *lot* of time working with cups on these units. It works
      > but wow, it can be a real pain in the a**... You'll have to screw
      > around with a lot of samba settings to get it to work. If you want to
      > install Windows native print drivers in cups you'll have to modify the
      > smb.conf to allow root access to modify the printer, or create another
      > user with permissions to do so.

      Hmm, actually, CUPS and Samba are two different animals, working independantly from
      each other. You can make Samba supply (serve) Windows printer drivers to your network
      clients, which is advanced and unnecessary if you "just want to print". You also don't need
      root access to print; any Samba manual will tell you how to do that. Example:

      [printers]
      comment = All Printers
      browseable = yes
      path = /tmp
      printable = yes
      public = yes
      writable = no
      create mode = 0777

      If this works for you or not, depends on your network setup, but it should for most people
      with low security needs. Personally, I wouldn't add a [printers] to section smb.conf at all
      unless I had a good reason, CUPS works fine without it, and is probably much faster.

      > It seems to work ok with some printers and not so ok with others. I
      > didn't even try to use USB printing, but went entirely with network
      > printers using cups. USB device support on these boxes have their own
      > headaches to deal with and network printing is much easier to deal
      > with. If you use a print server with a usb printer be prepared to use
      > one that's actually compatible (Hawking print servers seem to work,
      > while other's don't at all.)

      You could also get a network printer. -- The CUPS/SANE combo on my LS1/FreeLink
      serves the printing and scanning services of an attached HP PSC-1110 to my home
      network, so it is possible, yet not really easy to achieve.

      > Also, using a Freelink flashed box I noticed that the printers often
      > go offline so I had to use a script to restart them automatically and
      > put that in a cron job.

      I cannot confirm that. It might be a samba issue; configure smb.conf not to use CUPS. (AFP
      not SMB here, BTW)

      > Whatever you decide, be prepared to spend quite a bit of time trying
      > to get it to work.

      FACK!

      -Andre