Re: Linkstation network printing port?

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9 8:28 PM
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@...> wrote:
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
      > <lalunas10@> wrote:
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@>
      > wrote:
      [...]
      > > > Just looking for an alternative to the lp connection.
      [...]
      > > > btw I have an HD-H250LAN v 2.05
      > >
      > > You could install CUPS (which lives on port 631, BTW)
      [...]
      > In regards to the last two messages, thank you for your responses,
      > any one gotten any results without a hacked firmware?

      Well, you do need root access or won't be able to install anything. You also need
      development tools (gcc and friends). Then, you must compile quite a couple of libraries,
      then CUPS. Been there, done that, cannot recommend it though it works. So I suggest you
      live with LPD for now... Why do you want to switch anyway?

      -Andre
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9 8:28 PM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@...> wrote:
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
        > <lalunas10@> wrote:
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@>
        > wrote:
        [...]
        > > > Just looking for an alternative to the lp connection.
        [...]
        > > > btw I have an HD-H250LAN v 2.05
        > >
        > > You could install CUPS (which lives on port 631, BTW)
        [...]
        > In regards to the last two messages, thank you for your responses,
        > any one gotten any results without a hacked firmware?

        Well, you do need root access or won't be able to install anything. You also need
        development tools (gcc and friends). Then, you must compile a couple of libraries, then

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9 8:48 PM
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cecilprocter" <yahoo.com@...> wrote:

          > I've spent a *lot* of time working with cups on these units. It works
          > but wow, it can be a real pain in the a**... You'll have to screw
          > around with a lot of samba settings to get it to work. If you want to
          > install Windows native print drivers in cups you'll have to modify the
          > smb.conf to allow root access to modify the printer, or create another
          > user with permissions to do so.

          Hmm, actually, CUPS and Samba are two different animals, working independantly from
          each other. You can make Samba supply (serve) Windows printer drivers to your network
          clients, which is advanced and unnecessary if you "just want to print". You also don't need
          root access to print; any Samba manual will tell you how to do that. Example:

          [printers]
          comment = All Printers
          browseable = yes
          path = /tmp
          printable = yes
          public = yes
          writable = no
          create mode = 0777

          If this works for you or not, depends on your network setup, but it should for most people
          with low security needs. Personally, I wouldn't add a [printers] to section smb.conf at all
          unless I had a good reason, CUPS works fine without it, and is probably much faster.

          > It seems to work ok with some printers and not so ok with others. I
          > didn't even try to use USB printing, but went entirely with network
          > printers using cups. USB device support on these boxes have their own
          > headaches to deal with and network printing is much easier to deal
          > with. If you use a print server with a usb printer be prepared to use
          > one that's actually compatible (Hawking print servers seem to work,
          > while other's don't at all.)

          You could also get a network printer. -- The CUPS/SANE combo on my LS1/FreeLink
          serves the printing and scanning services of an attached HP PSC-1110 to my home
          network, so it is possible, yet not really easy to achieve.

          > Also, using a Freelink flashed box I noticed that the printers often
          > go offline so I had to use a script to restart them automatically and
          > put that in a cron job.

          I cannot confirm that. It might be a samba issue; configure smb.conf not to use CUPS. (AFP
          not SMB here, BTW)

          > Whatever you decide, be prepared to spend quite a bit of time trying
          > to get it to work.

          FACK!

          -Andre