Linkstation network printing port?

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
      question for anyone who may know,

      would the linkstation, in its native FW or in a hacked FW, support
      standard tcp/ip printing? Prior to asking this question, I've
      attempted to add a printer (with functional drivers that work with the
      Linkstation) as a local printer through a standard tcp/ip port, either
      as RAW with ports 9100 and 515, or as a LPR printer with an lp queue
      or lpt or lpt1.

      Just looking for an alternative to the lp connection.

      Thanks in advance.

      btw I have an HD-H250LAN v 2.05
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > would the linkstation, in its native FW or in a hacked FW, support
        > standard tcp/ip printing? Prior to asking this question, I've
        > attempted to add a printer (with functional drivers that work with the
        > Linkstation) as a local printer through a standard tcp/ip port, either
        > as RAW with ports 9100 and 515, or as a LPR printer with an lp queue
        > or lpt or lpt1.
        >
        > Just looking for an alternative to the lp connection.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > btw I have an HD-H250LAN v 2.05

        You could install CUPS (which lives on port 631, BTW)

        -Andre
      • cecilprocter
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
          I've spent a *lot* of time working with cups on these units. It works
          but wow, it can be a real pain in the a**... You'll have to screw
          around with a lot of samba settings to get it to work. If you want to
          install Windows native print drivers in cups you'll have to modify the
          smb.conf to allow root access to modify the printer, or create another
          user with permissions to do so.

          It seems to work ok with some printers and not so ok with others. I
          didn't even try to use USB printing, but went entirely with network
          printers using cups. USB device support on these boxes have their own
          headaches to deal with and network printing is much easier to deal
          with. If you use a print server with a usb printer be prepared to use
          one that's actually compatible (Hawking print servers seem to work,
          while other's don't at all.)

          Also, using a Freelink flashed box I noticed that the printers often
          go offline so I had to use a script to restart them automatically and
          put that in a cron job.

          Whatever you decide, be prepared to spend quite a bit of time trying
          to get it to work.
        • musikgoat
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
            <lalunas10@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@>
            wrote:
            > [...]
            > > would the linkstation, in its native FW or in a hacked FW, support
            > > standard tcp/ip printing? Prior to asking this question, I've
            > > attempted to add a printer (with functional drivers that work with the
            > > Linkstation) as a local printer through a standard tcp/ip port, either
            > > as RAW with ports 9100 and 515, or as a LPR printer with an lp queue
            > > or lpt or lpt1.
            > >
            > > Just looking for an alternative to the lp connection.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance.
            > >
            > > btw I have an HD-H250LAN v 2.05
            >
            > You could install CUPS (which lives on port 631, BTW)
            >
            > -Andre

            In regards to the last two messages, thank you for your responses,
            any one gotten any results without a hacked firmware?
          • dbossung1
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
              I am not sure from your message exactly the environment you are
              using, but here is what I have/did.

              Installed FreeLink and cups using info on linkstationwiki.com.

              Used Lynx to access localhost:631 on the linkstation.

              Setup a printer on /dev/usblp0 (yes the slash is not there, known
              bug)

              Use a raw print queue for the cups printer.

              Setup the windows client to print to a network printer at
              http://<likstation ip>:631/printers/<name of new printer> and
              installed the Windows driver.

              I had to tweak security to make the cups printer available and I had
              to add printer to modules. Info available on www.linuxprinting.org
              and linkstationwiki.com.

              Works great and no fussing with samba (which can be a pain as
              described before)

              If you don't want to use the windows driver (which I would not
              suggest) then you have to use a cups driver (see docs to install)
              and then use a generic postscript driver.

              good luck
            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@...> wrote:
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@>
                > wrote:
                [...]
                > > > Just looking for an alternative to the lp connection.
                [...]
                > > > btw I have an HD-H250LAN v 2.05
                > >
                > > You could install CUPS (which lives on port 631, BTW)
                [...]
                > In regards to the last two messages, thank you for your responses,
                > any one gotten any results without a hacked firmware?

                Well, you do need root access or won't be able to install anything. You also need
                development tools (gcc and friends). Then, you must compile quite a couple of libraries,
                then CUPS. Been there, done that, cannot recommend it though it works. So I suggest you
                live with LPD for now... Why do you want to switch anyway?

                -Andre
              • lalunas10
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@...> wrote:
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                  > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@>
                  > wrote:
                  [...]
                  > > > Just looking for an alternative to the lp connection.
                  [...]
                  > > > btw I have an HD-H250LAN v 2.05
                  > >
                  > > You could install CUPS (which lives on port 631, BTW)
                  [...]
                  > In regards to the last two messages, thank you for your responses,
                  > any one gotten any results without a hacked firmware?

                  Well, you do need root access or won't be able to install anything. You also need
                  development tools (gcc and friends). Then, you must compile a couple of libraries, then

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cecilprocter" <yahoo.com@...> wrote:

                    > I've spent a *lot* of time working with cups on these units. It works
                    > but wow, it can be a real pain in the a**... You'll have to screw
                    > around with a lot of samba settings to get it to work. If you want to
                    > install Windows native print drivers in cups you'll have to modify the
                    > smb.conf to allow root access to modify the printer, or create another
                    > user with permissions to do so.

                    Hmm, actually, CUPS and Samba are two different animals, working independantly from
                    each other. You can make Samba supply (serve) Windows printer drivers to your network
                    clients, which is advanced and unnecessary if you "just want to print". You also don't need
                    root access to print; any Samba manual will tell you how to do that. Example:

                    [printers]
                    comment = All Printers
                    browseable = yes
                    path = /tmp
                    printable = yes
                    public = yes
                    writable = no
                    create mode = 0777

                    If this works for you or not, depends on your network setup, but it should for most people
                    with low security needs. Personally, I wouldn't add a [printers] to section smb.conf at all
                    unless I had a good reason, CUPS works fine without it, and is probably much faster.

                    > It seems to work ok with some printers and not so ok with others. I
                    > didn't even try to use USB printing, but went entirely with network
                    > printers using cups. USB device support on these boxes have their own
                    > headaches to deal with and network printing is much easier to deal
                    > with. If you use a print server with a usb printer be prepared to use
                    > one that's actually compatible (Hawking print servers seem to work,
                    > while other's don't at all.)

                    You could also get a network printer. -- The CUPS/SANE combo on my LS1/FreeLink
                    serves the printing and scanning services of an attached HP PSC-1110 to my home
                    network, so it is possible, yet not really easy to achieve.

                    > Also, using a Freelink flashed box I noticed that the printers often
                    > go offline so I had to use a script to restart them automatically and
                    > put that in a cron job.

                    I cannot confirm that. It might be a samba issue; configure smb.conf not to use CUPS. (AFP
                    not SMB here, BTW)

                    > Whatever you decide, be prepared to spend quite a bit of time trying
                    > to get it to work.

                    FACK!

                    -Andre