Re: Stuck, trying to load Slimserver

  • ken_simler
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2006
      Try: cd /mnt/share

      If that doesn't work, take a look at the directories under /mnt and
      see if anything looks familiar. The command would be:

      ls -l /mnt

      I have a PPC LinkStation, so I'm not familiar with the MIPS
      instructions, but before installing slimserver, are you sure you have
      the perl you need? You may be fine, but it's worth double-checking
      before proceeding with slimserver installation.

      Good luck.
      -Ken

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Jay" <lists@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm trying to install Slimserver 6.2 on my Linkstation running
      > firmware 2.5. I am using the instructions at fieldnetworks.com
      >
      > I loaded mipsel-openlink-052b with no apparent problems: certainly I
      > got the success message at the end. SO I then telnetted into the
      > Linkstation (the first time I had done that). That seemed OK and I got:
      >
      > bash-2.05a#
      >
      > From here I cannot find anything. I'm trying to untar the Slimerserver
      > tar which is in my shared folder but I cannot CD to it as I always get
      > a not found error.
      >
      > My LinkStation is called SlimBuffalo and my shared folder is simply
      > called "Share". What exactly is the "cd /" directory I should use ?

    • Richard Jay
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2006
        cd /mnt/share

        just gives a "no such directory" error

        If I do ls -l /mnt I see 6 directories but do not see "share". I see
        "hda", "info", "ram", "slimserver" (an empty directory that I created
        as a test), "usbdisk1", "usbdisk2" & "usbinfo".

        This is via telnt as SSH gives me connection refused. When I telnet in
        I am not asked for a password, which doesn't seem right to me as I
        thought I changed it when I followed the commands in the README file
        with the new firmware.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ken_simler"

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2006
          I don't have access to my LS at present, so it's hard to say. Did you
          create the share named "Share" using the LS web interface or what?

          Your comments about no ssh access and no password prompting via telnet
          are a bit troubling. Try re-tracing your steps there to see if you can
          get that straightened out. When you telnet in, are you logged on as root?

          I'll see if something else comes to mind when I can access my LS.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2006
            The LS came with the "Share" by default and I can see & access that in
            Windows.

            When I telnet in I don't see any mention of being logged in as root. How
            exactly am I supposed to logon as root using telnet ? At the moment I'm
            simply typing the IP address.

            I haven't really done much other than flash the firmware and then do:
            dropbearkey -t dss -f /etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key
            dropbearkey -t rsa -f /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
            changed the password successfully
            rm /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S05utelnetd

            R.

          • ken_simler
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2006
              Re finding "Share", try looking under /mnt/hda . That might be where
              they put it on your model LS. More generally, if you don't find it
              there, search around the directories to see if you find it.

              TIP: When you list a directory's contents using "ls -l", the lines
              that begin with "d" (i.e., the very first letter on the left) are
              directories, so cd into there or list the contents of that directory
              (e.g., "ls -l /mnt/hda/" noting the final /).

              Re logging in as root, are you not prompted for a username at some point?

              I see you've posted on the SlimDevices forum. If you don't get any
              other responses here it might be better to focus your attention there.
              And vice versa. Either forum is fine, but when you split the
              discussion the advice can become rather fractured, and often redundant.

              -K