Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: HELP....emergency....pleeeeease...!!!!!

  • Harry Sanchez
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3 8:18 PM
      James Thanks a Loooooooooooooooooooot. This is working. I'm copying the files to another hard drive. You have no idea how desperate I was. I thank you a lot for your help.
      Harry

      James Stewart <wartstew@...> wrote:
      Don't panic. There is probably a way to fix your Linkstation.  Since I
      haven't run the factory firmware in over a year and a half, I'm not a
      good source of help.

      If you do need to send the unit in and want to get the information off
      of it first, here are the steps:

      1) Remove the drive from the Linkstation (with care you can do it
      without voiding any warrentes.)

      2) Put the drive in a PC.

      3) Run the fixmagic utility on it (if needed to open the 3rd partition
      using #4 below).

      4) Download and run Explore2fs which is a little utility that can open
      the file system that is on the 3rd partition of the drive, then browse
      and copy files from it.

      Alternatively to #4, you can boot up on a Linux live CD like Knoppix
      or DamnSmallLinux and get the stuff that way.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "harrysanchez_miami"
      <harrysanchez_miami@...> wrote:

      > I lost communication with the share folder on my HD-H160LAN. I called
      > technical support a couple of times and their solution is just sending
      > a new Unit. But I need to retreive the data before I send the unit for
      > replacement. This is what is happening so far. WhenI run the IP Setup
      > Utility I see the Link Station with the assigned IP address but is not
      > letting me get to the Login screen. I can't map the drive and I don't
      > even see it in the network. I have Very Valuable information on the
      > hard drive and I don't feel safe sending the hard drive for recovering
      > the data. What are your recomendations? It's the information on the
      > hard drive still safe?. Please, somebody give me an answer ASAP. All my
      > work files are in there and I have clients on top of me.
      > If you need more details let me know.
      > Harry Sanchez Miami, FL

      Yahoo! Mail