HELP....emergency....pleeeeease...!!!!!

  • harrysanchez_miami
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
      I lost communication with the share folder on my HD-H160LAN. I called
      technical support a couple of times and their solution is just sending
      a new Unit. But I need to retreive the data before I send the unit for
      replacement. This is what is happening so far. WhenI run the IP Setup
      Utility I see the Link Station with the assigned IP address but is not
      letting me get to the Login screen. I can't map the drive and I don't
      even see it in the network. I have Very Valuable information on the
      hard drive and I don't feel safe sending the hard drive for recovering
      the data. What are your recomendations? It's the information on the
      hard drive still safe?. Please, somebody give me an answer ASAP. All my
      work files are in there and I have clients on top of me.
      If you need more details let me know.
      Harry Sanchez Miami, FL
    • larryjadams@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
        Factory reset using the red button on the back. Have you tried that yet or did you flash the unit?

        TheWitness
        From: "harrysanchez_miami" <harrysanchez_miami@...>
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
          Don't panic. There is probably a way to fix your Linkstation. Since I
          haven't run the factory firmware in over a year and a half, I'm not a
          good source of help.

          If you do need to send the unit in and want to get the information off
          of it first, here are the steps:

          1) Remove the drive from the Linkstation (with care you can do it
          without voiding any warrentes.)

          2) Put the drive in a PC.

          3) Run the fixmagic utility on it (if needed to open the 3rd partition
          using #4 below).

          4) Download and run Explore2fs which is a little utility that can open
          the file system that is on the 3rd partition of the drive, then browse
          and copy files from it.

          Alternatively to #4, you can boot up on a Linux live CD like Knoppix
          or DamnSmallLinux and get the stuff that way.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "harrysanchez_miami"
          <harrysanchez_miami@...> wrote:

          > I lost communication with the share folder on my HD-H160LAN. I called
          > technical support a couple of times and their solution is just sending
          > a new Unit. But I need to retreive the data before I send the unit for
          > replacement. This is what is happening so far. WhenI run the IP Setup
          > Utility I see the Link Station with the assigned IP address but is not
          > letting me get to the Login screen. I can't map the drive and I don't
          > even see it in the network. I have Very Valuable information on the
          > hard drive and I don't feel safe sending the hard drive for recovering
          > the data. What are your recomendations? It's the information on the
          > hard drive still safe?. Please, somebody give me an answer ASAP. All my
          > work files are in there and I have clients on top of me.
          > If you need more details let me know.
          > Harry Sanchez Miami, FL

        • Harry Sanchez
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
            I did pressed the red button for 30 seconds several times and also did that and removed the power cable and then put it back and turn on the unit (as instructed in the web site for reset) But still not sure that the unit actually reset, because the unit original firmware is 1.43 and the new taht still has is 3.0. I'll keep trying. Thanks a lot.

            Yahoo! Mail
          • Harry Sanchez
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
              I'll try that tonight, let's cross the fingers. Thanks a lot.

              Yahoo! Mail
            • Harry Sanchez
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
                James Thanks a Loooooooooooooooooooot. This is working. I'm copying the files to another hard drive. You have no idea how desperate I was. I thank you a lot for your help.
                Harry

                <harrysanchez_miami@...> wrote:

                > I lost communication with the share folder on my HD-H160LAN. I called
                > technical support a couple of times and their solution is just sending
                > a new Unit. But I need to retreive the data before I send the unit for
                > replacement. This is what is happening so far. WhenI run the IP Setup
                > Utility I see the Link Station with the assigned IP address but is not
                > letting me get to the Login screen. I can't map the drive and I don't
                > even see it in the network. I have Very Valuable information on the
                > hard drive and I don't feel safe sending the hard drive for recovering
                > the data. What are your recomendations? It's the information on the
                > hard drive still safe?. Please, somebody give me an answer ASAP. All my
                > work files are in there and I have clients on top of me.
                > If you need more details let me know.
                > Harry Sanchez Miami, FL

                Yahoo! Mail