Re: What's so special about DriveStation formatting?

  • ilneill
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
      I also have a linkstation 250 and a drivestation 250... Separately
      they are great, but together they are, well, disappointing.

      What I have found:

      1. The ds will appear as a share (assuming that option is enabled)
      with the name usbdisk1. This cannot be changed and none of the user
      access controls can be applied.
      2. The LS will read a FAT32 formated ds, but not allow writing.
      3. The ds must be set to always on - the usb auto power will not
      work.
      4. The ds must be completely on and intialised and connected to the
      ls before the ls is switched on! I give it around 5mins to be sure.
      5. The ls backup feature has hung several times on me (ls fw 2.05,
      and 2.06)... Manually copying the files worked though.

      I also want to have a fat32 ds as a backup so that I can access my
      data easily if the ls fails. I have now upgraded my ls to openlink
      0.52b because I have been advised that it is possible with the
      opened fw.

      I hope this helps,

      Ian Neill
    • Larry Adams
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006

        Did you attempt to contact Buffalo ’s tech support?

        TheWitness

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
          I echo Ian findings. If you have played with your linkstation for more the
          a few hours you know more about it then Buffalo's tech support. However,
          the Linkstation is not popular because of the excellent tech support. It's
          popular because it's a decent Linux device to hack. JR