What's so special about DriveStation formatting?

  • bob_valder
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hello, I've just joined you guys as a proud owner of a 250GB
      LinkStation and a 250GB DriveStation.
      My first lesson was, you can't connect the two and expect to write
      to the DriveStation over the network until you format it FROM the
      LinkStation.
      Second lesson, once you've done that, you can't plug the
      DriveStation into a "normal" PC and read it!

      So, my plans for a multi-purpose portable drive went out the window.
      Either, leave it attached to the LinkStation or don't expect to use
      it as a network share. So, can any of you experienced guys explain a
      bit more about this formatting, I assume it's not FAT32 then?

      Secondly, whilst I had it connected to the LinkStation and working
      as a network share, I placed some important data on the
      DriveStation. After I tried using the Drivestation straight in to a
      PC (and failing) I plugged it back into the LinkStation and it's now
      completely corrupted! It shows up as 100% full in the status window
      (it was only about 10%) and full of folders with random character
      names, none of which can be opened. Have I lost my data, and more
      importantly, have I "bricked" it?

      I'm hoping I can re-format it from the LS or use the Buffalo
      formatting utility on a PC to re-format it as FAT32. - Happy days,
      had nothing better to do this week!
    • Richard C Steiner
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
        Quoting bob_valder <rvalder@...>:

        > Hello, I've just joined you guys as a proud owner of a 250GB
        > LinkStation and a 250GB DriveStation.

        I'm a fairly new owner of the first, but I haven't picked up a DriveStation yet.
        Maybe in a month or so when I can afford one. :-)

        > My first lesson was, you can't connect the two and expect to write
        > to the DriveStation over the network until you format it FROM the
        > LinkStation.

        I'm a little surprised that Buffalo didn't included other filesystem drivers in
        the LinkStation firmware, but in order to do a proper backup of the LinkStation
        filesystem the DriveStation probably also needs to have a Linux filesystem.

        > Second lesson, once you've done that, you can't plug the
        > DriveStation into a "normal" PC and read it!

        Paragon software has a $30 program that will allow Windows boxes to read and
        write ext2fs and ext3fs partitions.

        http://www.ext2fs-anywhere.com

        > So, my plans for a multi-purpose portable drive went out the window.
        > Either, leave it attached to the LinkStation or don't expect to use
        > it as a network share. So, can any of you experienced guys explain a
        > bit more about this formatting, I assume it's not FAT32 then?

        It's ext3fs, the "journaling" version of ext2fs. The LinkStation runs Linux,
        and its use of a filesystem other than FAT32 was a big selling point for me
        (FAT32 isn't a particularly elegant solution).

        Written online using VISI's fancy web-based Horde interface!
        The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
      • ilneill
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
          I also have a linkstation 250 and a drivestation 250... Separately
          they are great, but together they are, well, disappointing.

          What I have found:

          1. The ds will appear as a share (assuming that option is enabled)
          with the name usbdisk1. This cannot be changed and none of the user
          access controls can be applied.
          2. The LS will read a FAT32 formated ds, but not allow writing.
          3. The ds must be set to always on - the usb auto power will not
          work.
          4. The ds must be completely on and intialised and connected to the
          ls before the ls is switched on! I give it around 5mins to be sure.
          5. The ls backup feature has hung several times on me (ls fw 2.05,
          and 2.06)... Manually copying the files worked though.

          I also want to have a fat32 ds as a backup so that I can access my
          data easily if the ls fails. I have now upgraded my ls to openlink
          0.52b because I have been advised that it is possible with the
          opened fw.

          I hope this helps,

          Ian Neill
        • Larry Adams
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006

            Did you attempt to contact Buffalo ’s tech support?

            TheWitness

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
              I echo Ian findings. If you have played with your linkstation for more the
              a few hours you know more about it then Buffalo's tech support. However,
              the Linkstation is not popular because of the excellent tech support. It's
              popular because it's a decent Linux device to hack. JR