Root access by ftp?

  • Fernando Cassia
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2006
      I wonder if I could get root access simply by repackaging Buffalo's 1.42 firmware and change

      "RootLogin       off"
      "RootLogin       on"

      and
      DefaultRoot     /mnt
      DefaultRoot    /

      in /etc/proftp.conf  ?

      That way, I could navigate the dir tree at wll and upload binaries/modify cfg files, without having to open my HGLAN-300

      What do you think? Or is proftp.conf overwritten as part of the firmware update process?

      FC

    • Larry Adams
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2006

        Flashing to OpenLink 0.51b is the way to go.

        TheWitness

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2006
          I'd really like to avoid it.

          FC

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2006

            This is the method you must follow unfortunately.  If I had another one to play with, I would create a flash image that was just the HGLAN plus telnet or something.  Unfortunately, it’s too late for that now.  I am working at getting more access to the following site: http://www.linkstation.org in order to provide additional support for the PPC version of the product.

            TheWitness

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2006
              Oh sorry, I thought you meant FreeLink.

              Yes, OpenLink sounds like the way to go...