Accessory for NSLU2 & Linkstation: Drivestation nice w/ power savings modes

  • 7tronics Plc, M Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      Drivestation arrived yesterday, must admit very nice job on the
      packaging of the 160GB drive with no fan. Appreciate the auto power
      off mode and USB power down utility which allows Drivestation to power
      down when the NSLU2 is powered down. However, unlike the Linkstation
      we haven't found a way to put the NSLU2 and attached Drivestation to
      sleep as Linkstation can.

      ? Does the Linkstation allow power up on demand ?

      For now, since I erred and got a Drivestation, it will serve with the
      NSLU2 until I see a similar deal on the Linkstation. Hope the
      Outpost.com listing is accurate, that both the $30 and $50 rebates are
      good on this Drivestation ! Latter is good only through end of today
      (30Sept2004).

      Shame, have to repartition the Drivestation to gain large file support
      for backups (Retrospect, Amanda), since the default FAT32 format tops
      out at 4GB per file.

      Does the Linkstation support repartitioning an attached USB device
      such as the Drivestation into multiple partitions ? That is something
      we have to go through some hoops to do on the NSLU2 with hacks to
      existing firmware or unslung kernel and setup via telnet or SSH into
      the NSLU2.

      Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics