Is MIPS linkstation 250GB fast enough for slimserver?

  • abadines
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2006
      I've heard a few stories that connecting slimserver on an LSII to a squeezebox was rather slow
      and the songs would "hiccup" due to this. I want to hear if this is what you all have found (or
      not) and what your setup is.

      Thanks!
    • jcslack
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2006
        I've got a 160 GB MIPS Linkstation with reflashed firmware hosting
        slimserver just fine over 11 Mbps wifi... Once the slim server is done
        scanning I never get dropout, even when doing large file transfers
        over the network to the linkstation. I will say that the Linkstation
        is underpowered for processor intensive things like serving up
        graphics. So if album art and using the web interface are important to
        you, you may want to go with turning an old PC into a server.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "abadines" <abadines@...>

      • larryjadams@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2006
          I was able to improve throughput by hacking a binary from Buffalo. That hack allows Samba to work much more efficiently. The problem is with their Samba client. It does not currently support a dynamic window size. This makes file transfers a bit choppy.

          TheWitness

          From: "jcslack" <jcslack@...>