Re: HD-H250LAN Help!

  • RWM
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc" <calvinlsc@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "RWM" <mcprof@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey guys,
      > >

      > > Just purchased the above LinkStation from BestBuy. At home I have
      > > both a Powerbook and Dell Inspiron Notebook. I bought the LS to share
      > > files between the tow laptops.
      > >
      > > It took about two minutes to install the software and get the first
      > > files copied onto the LS from the Powerbook. However, I am at my wits
      > > end trying to get the LS recognized on the Dell.
      > >
      > > I get the software installed and I am able to pull up the linkstation
      > > in IE by typing the IP address. However I cannot map the drive on the
      > > Dell. I get to page 21 in the iinstruction manual
      > > (http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LS_Manual.pdf):
      > >
      > > Start>Run>type linkstation name
      > >
      > > I type the name of the linkstation there but it comes up as an
      > > unrecognized adress. In short, I cannot get the root directory to
      > > come up on my Windows machine.
      > >
      > > Am I just overlooking a step? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
      > > software about a half-a-dozen times to no avail. Any help will be
      > > appreciated.
      > >

      > What do you get by pinging the linkstation name?
      >
      > If you get reply, you should be able to see your LS in the Dell
      > notebook's 'my network places' if both of them are in the same
      > workgroup/domain.
      >
      > If 'cannot resolve hostname', then maybe your router doesn't have this
      > information stored. You may want to find a solution there, or set the
      > linkstation name in the 'host' file of your Dell notebook.

      Thanks for the advice! :)

      I do not get a reply when I try to ping. I get an error box; the red circle with an
      "X"

      I am not sure how I set the LS name in the "host" file.
    • RWM
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2006

        > Thanks for the advice! :)
        >
        > I do not get a reply when I try to ping. I get an error box; the red circle with an
        > "X"
        >
        > I am not sure how I set the LS name in the "host" file.

        the error message says "The network path was not found"
      • calvinlsc
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "RWM" <mcprof@...> wrote:

          > > Thanks for the advice! :)
          > >
          > > I do not get a reply when I try to ping. I get an error box; the
          red circle with an
          > > "X"
          > >
          > > I am not sure how I set the LS name in the "host" file.
          > >

          > the error message says "The network path was not found"

          Are you sure you can browse the LS shared folder by using
          \\linkstationIP in the address bar?
        • RWM
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14, 2006
            <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "RWM" <mcprof@> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Thanks for the advice! :)
            > > >
            > > > I do not get a reply when I try to ping. I get an error box; the
            > red circle with an
            > > > "X"
            > > >
            > > > I am not sure how I set the LS name in the "host" file.
            > > >

            > > the error message says "The network path was not found"
            > >

            > Are you sure you can browse the LS shared folder by using
            > \\linkstationIP in the address bar?

            I may have been unintentionally misleading....I can access the LS
            controls by typing in the IP address in IE.

            I am not able to browse the contents of the LS at all on the Dell.
          • KeepIt SimpleStupid
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2006
              Ypur not doing a good job in explaining what you can
              and cannot do. Since this is basic networking, I'll
              respond with:

              Please read:

              http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/article_info.php?articles_id=1

              For some general hints on setting up computer names
              and workgroups first.

              FWIW

              Select RUN and put "CMD" in the box.

              Then type ping <IP address>

              and if that works type

              ping \\<linkstation name>

              The <> are not typed. Type the value between the <>.

              "exit" will close the cmd window.

              Also do a RUN with EXPLORER in the box.

              Try "\\<IP address>" and "\\<linstation name>" in the
              address bar. Again the <> are not typed.

              and report back.

              The ping will check connectivity (which you have) and
              (name resolution).

              The first explorer test will test the ability to
              connect via SMB/CIFS which is Windows networking. The
              second is for informational purposes only. It checks
              both connectivity and name resolution.

              Fundamentals:

              It can take up to 45 minutes for a Windows computer to
              show up/disappear from a network unless using WINS.

              You must have the workgroup right or (left blank so
              not to cause confusion) in order to browse by name.
              The machines also need to be on the same network
              unless (leave blank as not to cause confusion).

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • KeepIt SimpleStupid
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 14, 2006
                Yahoo mail mucked up my previous message. To see it
                properly in Yahoo mail "Reply to the address" and look
                at the result. The line to ping the LS by name will
                appear correctly when reading mail in Yahoo.

                KeepItSimpleStupid

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • RWM
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 15, 2006
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                  <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

                  > Ypur not doing a good job in explaining what you can
                  > and cannot do. Since this is basic networking, I'll
                  > respond with:
                  >
                  > Please read:
                  >
                  > http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/article_info.php?articles_id=1
                  >
                  > For some general hints on setting up computer names
                  > and workgroups first.
                  >
                  > FWIW
                  >
                  > Select RUN and put "CMD" in the box.
                  >
                  > Then type ping <IP address>
                  >
                  > and if that works type
                  >
                  > ping \\<linkstation name>
                  >
                  > The <> are not typed. Type the value between the <>.
                  >
                  > "exit" will close the cmd window.
                  >
                  > Also do a RUN with EXPLORER in the box.
                  >
                  > Try "\\<IP address>" and "\\<linstation name>" in the
                  > address bar. Again the <> are not typed.
                  >
                  > and report back.

                  Well I must have said something right because the solution you posted
                  above worked like a charm.

                  I was able to find the LS on the Dell, map it and get a shortcut on
                  the desktop. I was also able to access all the files on the drive.
                  The only thing I did not try to do is save a file to the LS. I will
                  try that tonight.

                  Thank you for putting up with my limited knowledge and poor
                  description skills. I appreciate the help!
                • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 15, 2006

                    > Well I must have said something right because the
                    > solution you posted
                    > above worked like a charm.
                    >
                    > I was able to find the LS on the Dell, map it and
                    > get a shortcut on
                    > the desktop. I was also able to access all the files
                    > on the drive.
                    > The only thing I did not try to do is save a file to
                    > the LS. I will
                    > try that tonight.
                    >
                    > Thank you for putting up with my limited knowledge
                    > and poor
                    > description skills. I appreciate the help!

                    You did say something right in a sense. Clueless
                    without saying it. Which is OK. Hey, I don't own a
                    Linkstation....Yet.

                    Glad it worked out.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com