Re: telnet on HD-H250LAN [newbie]

  • jonathan_elvers
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
      I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
      upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
      In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a pain in
      the ass.
      In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade your unix
      box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the Linux
      box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
      goto www.samba.org
      I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
      /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
      and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.

      In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.
    • homeboy_sapiens
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 14, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
        <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
        > > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
        > > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
        > > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
        > > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
        > >
        > > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.
        > >
        > > Once again, thanks for your comment.
        > >

        > > tk
        > >

        > Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
        > Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x
        >
        > So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
        > right one.
        >
        > For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long ago,
        > and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find that
        > openlink is not built with the latest firmware.

        Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
        (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
        crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

        Or is it just not reachable via the wiki?
      • Ram [TK]
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 15, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "homeboy_sapiens"
          <rasputnik@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
          > <calvinlsc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@>
          wrote:

          > > > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is
          always
          > > > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet
          all
          > > > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
          > > > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently
          running
          > > > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest
          firmware.

          > > > Once again, thanks for your comment.
          > > >

          > > > tk
          > > >

          > > Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
          > > Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x
          > >
          > > So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
          > > right one.
          > >
          > > For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long
          ago,
          > > and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find
          that
          > > openlink is not built with the latest firmware.
          >
          > Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
          > (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
          > crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

          Correct. What versions do have the freelink?

          Thanks for the reply.

          tk
          > Or is it just not reachable via the wiki?

        • Dick Davies
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 16, 2006
            On 15/02/06, Ram [TK] <tkrmr@...> wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "homeboy_sapiens"

            > > Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
            > > (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
            > > crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

            > Correct. What versions do have the freelink?

            The powerpc (I'm assuming as no-ones corrected me).
            i.e. the gigabit lan version, and the version with a crossover switch.

            So I guess recent 100Mbit versions == powerpc == openlink only...?
            http://number9.hellooperator.net/
          • dmoadab
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 30, 2006
              I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
              Any advise is appreciated.

              root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
              root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
              sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
              root@LINKSTATION:/#

              root@LINKSTATION:/usr/bin# ls
              a2p dropbearkey libtool
              perldoc sg
              aclocal du libtoolize
              perlivp sha1sum
              addr2line eject locale
              pgrep shred
              ar enc2xs localedef
              piconv size
              as encode_keychange locate
              pips730 skill
              as_flash env logger
              pips740 smbpasswd
              autoconf expiry lp
              pips740du smbstatus
              autoheader faillog lpq
              pips830 sort
              autom4te file lpr
              pips840 splain
              automake filter lprm
              pips850 sprof
              autoreconf find lpstat
              pips870 strings
              autoscan find2perl m4
              pips890 strip
              autoupdate flex make pkg-
              config sum
              basename fold md5sum
              pkill tail
              bison free mipsel-linux-cpp
              pl2pm tdbbackup
              bison.yacc ftpcount.pr mipsel-linux-g++
              pod2html tee
              byacc ftpcount.wu mipsel-linux-gcc
              pod2latex test
              c++filt ftptop.pr mkfifo
              pod2man testparm
              c2ph ftpwho.pr mtrace
              pod2text time
              c_rehash ftpwho.wu nbplkup
              pod2usage tload
              catchsegv g++ nbprgstr
              podchecker top
              cc gcc nbpunrgstr
              podselect tr
              chage gccbug newgrp
              prename tty
              chfn gcov newslock
              prove tzselect
              chsh gencat nm
              ps2ps uniq
              chvt getconf objcopy
              psed unzip
              clear getent objdump
              pstruct uptime
              cmp gpasswd od
              pydoc utmpdump
              cpan gprof oldps
              pydoc2.3 uudecode
              cpp gs openssl
              pygettext uuencode
              crontab h2ph openssl_fips_fingerprint
              pygettext2.3 vmstat
              cut h2xs openvt
              python watch
              db_recover head pap
              python2.3 wget
              db_stat hexdump papstatus
              ranlib which
              db_verify iconv parse_usbscsi
              readelf whoami
              dbclient id passwd
              reset xargs
              deallocvt ifnames patch
              rpcgen xsubpp
              diff install pdb
              rpcinfo yes
              diff3 instmodsh pdb2.3
              rpm zdump
              dirname ld perl rpm2cpio
              dpkg ldd perl5.8.7 s2p
              dpkg-deb lex perlbug sdiff
              dprofpp libnetcfg perlcc setsid

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jonathan_elvers"
              <jonathan_elvers@...> wrote:

              > I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
              > upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
              > In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a pain
              in
              > the ass.
              > In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade your
              unix
              > box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the Linux
              > box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
              > goto www.samba.org
              > I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
              > /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
              > and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.
              >
              > In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.

            • cherrytreeproduction
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:

                > I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                > Any advise is appreciated.
                >
                > root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                > root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                > root@LINKSTATION:/#

                what are you trying to achieve?

                the guy before mounts the samba shares on his
                linux-workstation....ther smbmount is available of course.

                -- mindbender

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                  I'm trying to get the Linkstation to see a shared drive on a PC as
                  local share or folder on the linkstation.

                  <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                  wrote:

                  > > I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                  > > Any advise is appreciated.
                  > >
                  > > root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                  > > root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                  > > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                  > > root@LINKSTATION:/#
                  >

                  > what are you trying to achieve?
                  >
                  > the guy before mounts the samba shares on his
                  > linux-workstation....ther smbmount is available of course.
                  >
                  > -- mindbender
                  >

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jonathan_elvers"
                  > > <jonathan_elvers@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
                  > > > upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
                  > > > In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a
                  pain
                  > > in
                  > > > the ass.
                  > > > In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade
                  your
                  > > unix
                  > > > box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the
                  Linux
                  > > > box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
                  > > > goto www.samba.org
                  > > > I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
                  > > > /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
                  > > > and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.
                  > > >
                  > > > In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.

                • lalunas10
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:

                    [no top-posting please]

                    > > > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory

                    What does "which smbmount" report?

                    -Andre
                  • dmoadab
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                      <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                      wrote:

                      > [no top-posting please]

                      > What does "which smbmount" report?
                      >
                      > -Andre

                      root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                      which: no smbmount in
                      (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                      :/usr/sbin:/sbin)
                      root@LINKSTATION:/#
                    • lalunas10
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:
                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                        > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                        > wrote:
                        [...]
                        > root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                        > which: no smbmount in
                        > (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                        > :/usr/sbin:/sbin)

                        What firmware did you flash?

                        -Andre
                      • dmoadab
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 10, 2006
                          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                          wrote:
                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                          > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab"
                          <dmoadab@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > [...]
                          > [...]
                          > > root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                          > > which: no smbmount in

                          (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                          > > :/usr/sbin:/sbin)
                          >
                          > What firmware did you flash?
                          >
                          > -Andre

                          hg-openlink-051b