Re: telnet on HD-H250LAN [newbie]

  • Ram [TK]
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
      Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
      built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
      the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
      if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
      on the new ones, then you dont get the features.

      Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.

      Once again, thanks for your comment.

      tk

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
      <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@>
      wrote:

      > > Hi
      > > Just recieved a brand new HD-H250LAN with 2.05 firmware.
      > > I want to install NFS and have it available for other Linux
      boxes.
      > > To do that I need telnet. Browsing the archives, it seems like
      > > I will have to use one of the "un-official" firmware to get
      telnet.
      > > Most of the articles talked about doing that when you are on
      1.4x
      > > firmware. Is it still the same for 2.05 firmware as well?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > tk
      > >

      > Download the OpenLink firmware from linkstationwiki.org, and follow
      > the instructions inside the archive.
      >
      > Or if you want to replace the box with Debian, download Freelink
      from
      > the same site. Read the forum there to learn how to get it done.

    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
        > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
        > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
        > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
        > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
        >
        > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.
        >
        > Once again, thanks for your comment.
        >

        > tk

        Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
        Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x

        So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
        right one.

        For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long ago,
        and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find that
        openlink is not built with the latest firmware.
      • jonathan_elvers
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
          I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
          upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
          In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a pain in
          the ass.
          In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade your unix
          box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the Linux
          box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
          goto www.samba.org
          I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
          /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
          and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.

          In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.
        • homeboy_sapiens
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 14, 2006
            <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
            > > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
            > > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
            > > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
            > > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
            > >
            > > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.
            > >
            > > Once again, thanks for your comment.
            > >

            > > tk
            > >

            > Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
            > Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x
            >
            > So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
            > right one.
            >
            > For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long ago,
            > and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find that
            > openlink is not built with the latest firmware.

            Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
            (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
            crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

            Or is it just not reachable via the wiki?
          • Ram [TK]
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 15, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "homeboy_sapiens"
              <rasputnik@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
              > <calvinlsc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@>
              wrote:

              > > > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is
              always
              > > > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet
              all
              > > > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
              > > > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently
              running
              > > > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest
              firmware.

              > > > Once again, thanks for your comment.
              > > >

              > > > tk
              > > >

              > > Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
              > > Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x
              > >
              > > So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
              > > right one.
              > >
              > > For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long
              ago,
              > > and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find
              that
              > > openlink is not built with the latest firmware.
              >
              > Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
              > (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
              > crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

              Correct. What versions do have the freelink?

              Thanks for the reply.

              tk
              > Or is it just not reachable via the wiki?

            • Dick Davies
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 16, 2006
                On 15/02/06, Ram [TK] <tkrmr@...> wrote:
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "homeboy_sapiens"

                > > Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
                > > (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
                > > crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

                > Correct. What versions do have the freelink?

                The powerpc (I'm assuming as no-ones corrected me).
                i.e. the gigabit lan version, and the version with a crossover switch.

                So I guess recent 100Mbit versions == powerpc == openlink only...?
                http://number9.hellooperator.net/
              • dmoadab
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 30, 2006
                  I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                  Any advise is appreciated.

                  root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                  root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                  sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                  root@LINKSTATION:/#

                  root@LINKSTATION:/usr/bin# ls
                  a2p dropbearkey libtool
                  perldoc sg
                  aclocal du libtoolize
                  perlivp sha1sum
                  addr2line eject locale
                  pgrep shred
                  ar enc2xs localedef
                  piconv size
                  as encode_keychange locate
                  pips730 skill
                  as_flash env logger
                  pips740 smbpasswd
                  autoconf expiry lp
                  pips740du smbstatus
                  autoheader faillog lpq
                  pips830 sort
                  autom4te file lpr
                  pips840 splain
                  automake filter lprm
                  pips850 sprof
                  autoreconf find lpstat
                  pips870 strings
                  autoscan find2perl m4
                  pips890 strip
                  autoupdate flex make pkg-
                  config sum
                  basename fold md5sum
                  pkill tail
                  bison free mipsel-linux-cpp
                  pl2pm tdbbackup
                  bison.yacc ftpcount.pr mipsel-linux-g++
                  pod2html tee
                  byacc ftpcount.wu mipsel-linux-gcc
                  pod2latex test
                  c++filt ftptop.pr mkfifo
                  pod2man testparm
                  c2ph ftpwho.pr mtrace
                  pod2text time
                  c_rehash ftpwho.wu nbplkup
                  pod2usage tload
                  catchsegv g++ nbprgstr
                  podchecker top
                  cc gcc nbpunrgstr
                  podselect tr
                  chage gccbug newgrp
                  prename tty
                  chfn gcov newslock
                  prove tzselect
                  chsh gencat nm
                  ps2ps uniq
                  chvt getconf objcopy
                  psed unzip
                  clear getent objdump
                  pstruct uptime
                  cmp gpasswd od
                  pydoc utmpdump
                  cpan gprof oldps
                  pydoc2.3 uudecode
                  cpp gs openssl
                  pygettext uuencode
                  crontab h2ph openssl_fips_fingerprint
                  pygettext2.3 vmstat
                  cut h2xs openvt
                  python watch
                  db_recover head pap
                  python2.3 wget
                  db_stat hexdump papstatus
                  ranlib which
                  db_verify iconv parse_usbscsi
                  readelf whoami
                  dbclient id passwd
                  reset xargs
                  deallocvt ifnames patch
                  rpcgen xsubpp
                  diff install pdb
                  rpcinfo yes
                  diff3 instmodsh pdb2.3
                  rpm zdump
                  dirname ld perl rpm2cpio
                  dpkg ldd perl5.8.7 s2p
                  dpkg-deb lex perlbug sdiff
                  dprofpp libnetcfg perlcc setsid

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jonathan_elvers"
                  <jonathan_elvers@...> wrote:

                  > I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
                  > upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
                  > In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a pain
                  in
                  > the ass.
                  > In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade your
                  unix
                  > box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the Linux
                  > box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
                  > goto www.samba.org
                  > I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
                  > /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
                  > and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.
                  >
                  > In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.

                • cherrytreeproduction
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:

                    > I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                    > Any advise is appreciated.
                    >
                    > root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                    > root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                    > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                    > root@LINKSTATION:/#

                    what are you trying to achieve?

                    the guy before mounts the samba shares on his
                    linux-workstation....ther smbmount is available of course.

                    -- mindbender

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                      I'm trying to get the Linkstation to see a shared drive on a PC as
                      local share or folder on the linkstation.

                      <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                      wrote:

                      > > I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                      > > Any advise is appreciated.
                      > >
                      > > root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                      > > root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                      > > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                      > > root@LINKSTATION:/#
                      >

                      > what are you trying to achieve?
                      >
                      > the guy before mounts the samba shares on his
                      > linux-workstation....ther smbmount is available of course.
                      >
                      > -- mindbender
                      >

                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jonathan_elvers"
                      > > <jonathan_elvers@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
                      > > > upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
                      > > > In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a
                      pain
                      > > in
                      > > > the ass.
                      > > > In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade
                      your
                      > > unix
                      > > > box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the
                      Linux
                      > > > box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
                      > > > goto www.samba.org
                      > > > I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
                      > > > /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
                      > > > and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.
                      > > >
                      > > > In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.

                    • lalunas10
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:

                        [no top-posting please]

                        > > > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory

                        What does "which smbmount" report?

                        -Andre
                      • dmoadab
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                          wrote:

                          > [no top-posting please]

                          > What does "which smbmount" report?
                          >
                          > -Andre

                          root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                          which: no smbmount in
                          (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                          :/usr/sbin:/sbin)
                          root@LINKSTATION:/#
                        • lalunas10
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:
                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                            > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                            > wrote:
                            [...]
                            > root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                            > which: no smbmount in
                            > (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                            > :/usr/sbin:/sbin)

                            What firmware did you flash?

                            -Andre
                          • dmoadab
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 10, 2006
                              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                              wrote:
                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                              > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab"
                              <dmoadab@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > [...]
                              > [...]
                              > > root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                              > > which: no smbmount in

                              (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                              > > :/usr/sbin:/sbin)
                              >
                              > What firmware did you flash?
                              >
                              > -Andre

                              hg-openlink-051b