Re: telnet on HD-H250LAN [newbie]

  • calvinlsc
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 9, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      > Just recieved a brand new HD-H250LAN with 2.05 firmware.
      > I want to install NFS and have it available for other Linux boxes.
      > To do that I need telnet. Browsing the archives, it seems like
      > I will have to use one of the "un-official" firmware to get telnet.
      > Most of the articles talked about doing that when you are on 1.4x
      > firmware. Is it still the same for 2.05 firmware as well?
      >
      > Thanks
      > tk

      Download the OpenLink firmware from linkstationwiki.org, and follow
      the instructions inside the archive.

      Or if you want to replace the box with Debian, download Freelink from
      the same site. Read the forum there to learn how to get it done.
    • Ram [TK]
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
        Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
        built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
        the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
        if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
        on the new ones, then you dont get the features.

        Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.

        Once again, thanks for your comment.

        tk

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
          > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
          > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
          > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
          > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
          >
          > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.
          >
          > Once again, thanks for your comment.
          >

          > tk

          Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
          Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x

          So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
          right one.

          For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long ago,
          and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find that
          openlink is not built with the latest firmware.
        • jonathan_elvers
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
            I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
            upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
            In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a pain in
            the ass.
            In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade your unix
            box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the Linux
            box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
            goto www.samba.org
            I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
            /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
            and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.

            In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.
          • homeboy_sapiens
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 14, 2006
              <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
              > > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
              > > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
              > > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
              > > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
              > >
              > > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.
              > >
              > > Once again, thanks for your comment.
              > >

              > > tk
              > >

              > Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
              > Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x
              >
              > So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
              > right one.
              >
              > For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long ago,
              > and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find that
              > openlink is not built with the latest firmware.

              Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
              (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
              crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

              Or is it just not reachable via the wiki?
            • Ram [TK]
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 15, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "homeboy_sapiens"
                <rasputnik@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
                > <calvinlsc@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@>
                wrote:

                > > > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is
                always
                > > > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet
                all
                > > > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
                > > > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently
                running
                > > > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest
                firmware.

                > > > Once again, thanks for your comment.
                > > >

                > > > tk
                > > >

                > > Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
                > > Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x
                > >
                > > So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
                > > right one.
                > >
                > > For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long
                ago,
                > > and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find
                that
                > > openlink is not built with the latest firmware.
                >
                > Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
                > (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
                > crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

                Correct. What versions do have the freelink?

                Thanks for the reply.

                tk
                > Or is it just not reachable via the wiki?

              • Dick Davies
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 16, 2006
                  On 15/02/06, Ram [TK] <tkrmr@...> wrote:
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "homeboy_sapiens"

                  > > Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
                  > > (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
                  > > crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

                  > Correct. What versions do have the freelink?

                  The powerpc (I'm assuming as no-ones corrected me).
                  i.e. the gigabit lan version, and the version with a crossover switch.

                  So I guess recent 100Mbit versions == powerpc == openlink only...?
                  http://number9.hellooperator.net/
                • dmoadab
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 30, 2006
                    I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                    Any advise is appreciated.

                    root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                    root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                    sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                    root@LINKSTATION:/#

                    root@LINKSTATION:/usr/bin# ls
                    a2p dropbearkey libtool
                    perldoc sg
                    aclocal du libtoolize
                    perlivp sha1sum
                    addr2line eject locale
                    pgrep shred
                    ar enc2xs localedef
                    piconv size
                    as encode_keychange locate
                    pips730 skill
                    as_flash env logger
                    pips740 smbpasswd
                    autoconf expiry lp
                    pips740du smbstatus
                    autoheader faillog lpq
                    pips830 sort
                    autom4te file lpr
                    pips840 splain
                    automake filter lprm
                    pips850 sprof
                    autoreconf find lpstat
                    pips870 strings
                    autoscan find2perl m4
                    pips890 strip
                    autoupdate flex make pkg-
                    config sum
                    basename fold md5sum
                    pkill tail
                    bison free mipsel-linux-cpp
                    pl2pm tdbbackup
                    bison.yacc ftpcount.pr mipsel-linux-g++
                    pod2html tee
                    byacc ftpcount.wu mipsel-linux-gcc
                    pod2latex test
                    c++filt ftptop.pr mkfifo
                    pod2man testparm
                    c2ph ftpwho.pr mtrace
                    pod2text time
                    c_rehash ftpwho.wu nbplkup
                    pod2usage tload
                    catchsegv g++ nbprgstr
                    podchecker top
                    cc gcc nbpunrgstr
                    podselect tr
                    chage gccbug newgrp
                    prename tty
                    chfn gcov newslock
                    prove tzselect
                    chsh gencat nm
                    ps2ps uniq
                    chvt getconf objcopy
                    psed unzip
                    clear getent objdump
                    pstruct uptime
                    cmp gpasswd od
                    pydoc utmpdump
                    cpan gprof oldps
                    pydoc2.3 uudecode
                    cpp gs openssl
                    pygettext uuencode
                    crontab h2ph openssl_fips_fingerprint
                    pygettext2.3 vmstat
                    cut h2xs openvt
                    python watch
                    db_recover head pap
                    python2.3 wget
                    db_stat hexdump papstatus
                    ranlib which
                    db_verify iconv parse_usbscsi
                    readelf whoami
                    dbclient id passwd
                    reset xargs
                    deallocvt ifnames patch
                    rpcgen xsubpp
                    diff install pdb
                    rpcinfo yes
                    diff3 instmodsh pdb2.3
                    rpm zdump
                    dirname ld perl rpm2cpio
                    dpkg ldd perl5.8.7 s2p
                    dpkg-deb lex perlbug sdiff
                    dprofpp libnetcfg perlcc setsid

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jonathan_elvers"
                    <jonathan_elvers@...> wrote:

                    > I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
                    > upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
                    > In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a pain
                    in
                    > the ass.
                    > In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade your
                    unix
                    > box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the Linux
                    > box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
                    > goto www.samba.org
                    > I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
                    > /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
                    > and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.
                    >
                    > In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.

                  • cherrytreeproduction
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:

                      > I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                      > Any advise is appreciated.
                      >
                      > root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                      > root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                      > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                      > root@LINKSTATION:/#

                      what are you trying to achieve?

                      the guy before mounts the samba shares on his
                      linux-workstation....ther smbmount is available of course.

                      -- mindbender

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                        I'm trying to get the Linkstation to see a shared drive on a PC as
                        local share or folder on the linkstation.

                        <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                        wrote:

                        > > I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                        > > Any advise is appreciated.
                        > >
                        > > root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                        > > root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                        > > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                        > > root@LINKSTATION:/#
                        >

                        > what are you trying to achieve?
                        >
                        > the guy before mounts the samba shares on his
                        > linux-workstation....ther smbmount is available of course.
                        >
                        > -- mindbender
                        >

                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jonathan_elvers"
                        > > <jonathan_elvers@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
                        > > > upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
                        > > > In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a
                        pain
                        > > in
                        > > > the ass.
                        > > > In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade
                        your
                        > > unix
                        > > > box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the
                        Linux
                        > > > box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
                        > > > goto www.samba.org
                        > > > I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
                        > > > /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
                        > > > and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.
                        > > >
                        > > > In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.

                      • lalunas10
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:

                          [no top-posting please]

                          > > > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory

                          What does "which smbmount" report?

                          -Andre
                        • dmoadab
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                            <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                            wrote:

                            > [no top-posting please]

                            > What does "which smbmount" report?
                            >
                            > -Andre

                            root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                            which: no smbmount in
                            (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                            :/usr/sbin:/sbin)
                            root@LINKSTATION:/#
                          • lalunas10
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:
                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                              > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                              > wrote:
                              [...]
                              > root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                              > which: no smbmount in
                              > (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                              > :/usr/sbin:/sbin)

                              What firmware did you flash?

                              -Andre
                            • dmoadab
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 10, 2006
                                <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                                wrote:
                                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                                > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab"
                                <dmoadab@>
                                > > wrote:
                                > [...]
                                > [...]
                                > > root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                                > > which: no smbmount in

                                (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                                > > :/usr/sbin:/sbin)
                                >
                                > What firmware did you flash?
                                >
                                > -Andre

                                hg-openlink-051b