telnet on HD-H250LAN [newbie]

  • Ram [TK]
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 9, 2006
      Hi
      Just recieved a brand new HD-H250LAN with 2.05 firmware.
      I want to install NFS and have it available for other Linux boxes.
      To do that I need telnet. Browsing the archives, it seems like
      I will have to use one of the "un-official" firmware to get telnet.
      Most of the articles talked about doing that when you are on 1.4x
      firmware. Is it still the same for 2.05 firmware as well?

      Thanks
      tk
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 9, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        > Just recieved a brand new HD-H250LAN with 2.05 firmware.
        > I want to install NFS and have it available for other Linux boxes.
        > To do that I need telnet. Browsing the archives, it seems like
        > I will have to use one of the "un-official" firmware to get telnet.
        > Most of the articles talked about doing that when you are on 1.4x
        > firmware. Is it still the same for 2.05 firmware as well?
        >
        > Thanks
        > tk

        Download the OpenLink firmware from linkstationwiki.org, and follow
        the instructions inside the archive.

        Or if you want to replace the box with Debian, download Freelink from
        the same site. Read the forum there to learn how to get it done.
      • Ram [TK]
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
          Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
          built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
          the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
          if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
          on the new ones, then you dont get the features.

          Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.

          Once again, thanks for your comment.

          tk

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
            > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
            > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
            > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
            > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
            >
            > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.
            >
            > Once again, thanks for your comment.
            >

            > tk

            Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
            Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x

            So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
            right one.

            For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long ago,
            and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find that
            openlink is not built with the latest firmware.
          • jonathan_elvers
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 10, 2006
              I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
              upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
              In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a pain in
              the ass.
              In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade your unix
              box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the Linux
              box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
              goto www.samba.org
              I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
              /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
              and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.

              In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.
            • homeboy_sapiens
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 14, 2006
                <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is always
                > > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet all
                > > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
                > > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently running
                > > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
                > >
                > > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest firmware.
                > >
                > > Once again, thanks for your comment.
                > >

                > > tk
                > >

                > Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
                > Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x
                >
                > So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
                > right one.
                >
                > For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long ago,
                > and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find that
                > openlink is not built with the latest firmware.

                Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
                (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
                crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

                Or is it just not reachable via the wiki?
              • Ram [TK]
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 15, 2006
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "homeboy_sapiens"
                  <rasputnik@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
                  > <calvinlsc@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ram [TK]" <tkrmr@>
                  wrote:

                  > > > Thanks for the reply. The wiki said that the openlink is
                  always
                  > > > built on the "latest" official release of the firmware and yet
                  all
                  > > > the docs says that its built on 1.4x or 1.5x. Looks like what
                  > > > if there are features between that 2.x that is currently
                  running
                  > > > on the new ones, then you dont get the features.
                  > > >
                  > > > Does anyone have openlink compiled against 2.05, the latest
                  firmware.

                  > > > Once again, thanks for your comment.
                  > > >

                  > > > tk
                  > > >

                  > > Firmware for LS1 is always named like 1.x
                  > > Firmware for LS2 is always named like 2.x
                  > >
                  > > So, depends on which LS version you got, you need to download the
                  > > right one.
                  > >
                  > > For your information, Buffalo has released new firmware not long
                  ago,
                  > > and openlink has not been updated for some time. So you may find
                  that
                  > > openlink is not built with the latest firmware.
                  >
                  > Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
                  > (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
                  > crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

                  Correct. What versions do have the freelink?

                  Thanks for the reply.

                  tk
                  > Or is it just not reachable via the wiki?

                • Dick Davies
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 16, 2006
                    On 15/02/06, Ram [TK] <tkrmr@...> wrote:
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "homeboy_sapiens"

                    > > Am I right in thinking that if you have a mipsel Linkstation
                    > > (I think I do, it's a 250Gb, 100Mbit ethernet version without the
                    > > crossover switch), then freelink isn't available?

                    > Correct. What versions do have the freelink?

                    The powerpc (I'm assuming as no-ones corrected me).
                    i.e. the gigabit lan version, and the version with a crossover switch.

                    So I guess recent 100Mbit versions == powerpc == openlink only...?
                    http://number9.hellooperator.net/
                  • dmoadab
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 30, 2006
                      I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                      Any advise is appreciated.

                      root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                      root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                      sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                      root@LINKSTATION:/#

                      root@LINKSTATION:/usr/bin# ls
                      a2p dropbearkey libtool
                      perldoc sg
                      aclocal du libtoolize
                      perlivp sha1sum
                      addr2line eject locale
                      pgrep shred
                      ar enc2xs localedef
                      piconv size
                      as encode_keychange locate
                      pips730 skill
                      as_flash env logger
                      pips740 smbpasswd
                      autoconf expiry lp
                      pips740du smbstatus
                      autoheader faillog lpq
                      pips830 sort
                      autom4te file lpr
                      pips840 splain
                      automake filter lprm
                      pips850 sprof
                      autoreconf find lpstat
                      pips870 strings
                      autoscan find2perl m4
                      pips890 strip
                      autoupdate flex make pkg-
                      config sum
                      basename fold md5sum
                      pkill tail
                      bison free mipsel-linux-cpp
                      pl2pm tdbbackup
                      bison.yacc ftpcount.pr mipsel-linux-g++
                      pod2html tee
                      byacc ftpcount.wu mipsel-linux-gcc
                      pod2latex test
                      c++filt ftptop.pr mkfifo
                      pod2man testparm
                      c2ph ftpwho.pr mtrace
                      pod2text time
                      c_rehash ftpwho.wu nbplkup
                      pod2usage tload
                      catchsegv g++ nbprgstr
                      podchecker top
                      cc gcc nbpunrgstr
                      podselect tr
                      chage gccbug newgrp
                      prename tty
                      chfn gcov newslock
                      prove tzselect
                      chsh gencat nm
                      ps2ps uniq
                      chvt getconf objcopy
                      psed unzip
                      clear getent objdump
                      pstruct uptime
                      cmp gpasswd od
                      pydoc utmpdump
                      cpan gprof oldps
                      pydoc2.3 uudecode
                      cpp gs openssl
                      pygettext uuencode
                      crontab h2ph openssl_fips_fingerprint
                      pygettext2.3 vmstat
                      cut h2xs openvt
                      python watch
                      db_recover head pap
                      python2.3 wget
                      db_stat hexdump papstatus
                      ranlib which
                      db_verify iconv parse_usbscsi
                      readelf whoami
                      dbclient id passwd
                      reset xargs
                      deallocvt ifnames patch
                      rpcgen xsubpp
                      diff install pdb
                      rpcinfo yes
                      diff3 instmodsh pdb2.3
                      rpm zdump
                      dirname ld perl rpm2cpio
                      dpkg ldd perl5.8.7 s2p
                      dpkg-deb lex perlbug sdiff
                      dprofpp libnetcfg perlcc setsid

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jonathan_elvers"
                      <jonathan_elvers@...> wrote:

                      > I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
                      > upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
                      > In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a pain
                      in
                      > the ass.
                      > In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade your
                      unix
                      > box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the Linux
                      > box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
                      > goto www.samba.org
                      > I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
                      > /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
                      > and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.
                      >
                      > In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.

                    • cherrytreeproduction
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:

                        > I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                        > Any advise is appreciated.
                        >
                        > root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                        > root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                        > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                        > root@LINKSTATION:/#

                        what are you trying to achieve?

                        the guy before mounts the samba shares on his
                        linux-workstation....ther smbmount is available of course.

                        -- mindbender

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                          I'm trying to get the Linkstation to see a shared drive on a PC as
                          local share or folder on the linkstation.

                          <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                          wrote:

                          > > I'm trying to run this command but I get the following.
                          > > Any advise is appreciated.
                          > >
                          > > root@LINKSTATION:/# cd ..
                          > > root@LINKSTATION:/# /usr/sbin/smbmount
                          > > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory
                          > > root@LINKSTATION:/#
                          >

                          > what are you trying to achieve?
                          >
                          > the guy before mounts the samba shares on his
                          > linux-workstation....ther smbmount is available of course.
                          >
                          > -- mindbender
                          >

                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jonathan_elvers"
                          > > <jonathan_elvers@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I just bought a 250Gb device to backup my Linux Samba server. I
                          > > > upgraded the firmware etc and wanted to get NFS going.
                          > > > In the end I found the instructions difficult to follow and a
                          pain
                          > > in
                          > > > the ass.
                          > > > In the end I solved it in about 15mins much easier. Upgrade
                          your
                          > > unix
                          > > > box to Samba 3, and use SMB to mount the Linkstation from the
                          Linux
                          > > > box. Then you copy on the Linux box and works great.
                          > > > goto www.samba.org
                          > > > I do it like this is a script scheduled via cron
                          > > > /usr/sbin/smbmount //nas-ls-a/share /nas -o guest
                          > > > and now my /nas is on the Linkstation.
                          > > >
                          > > > In this way you can use the Linkstation out of the box.

                        • lalunas10
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:

                            [no top-posting please]

                            > > > sh: /usr/sbin/smbmount: No such file or directory

                            What does "which smbmount" report?

                            -Andre
                          • dmoadab
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
                              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                              wrote:

                              > [no top-posting please]

                              > What does "which smbmount" report?
                              >
                              > -Andre

                              root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                              which: no smbmount in
                              (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                              :/usr/sbin:/sbin)
                              root@LINKSTATION:/#
                            • lalunas10
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@...> wrote:
                                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                                > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                                > wrote:
                                [...]
                                > root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                                > which: no smbmount in
                                > (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                                > :/usr/sbin:/sbin)

                                What firmware did you flash?

                                -Andre
                              • dmoadab
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 10, 2006
                                  <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab" <dmoadab@>
                                  wrote:
                                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                                  > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dmoadab"
                                  <dmoadab@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > [...]
                                  > [...]
                                  > > root@LINKSTATION:/# which smbmount
                                  > > which: no smbmount in

                                  (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin
                                  > > :/usr/sbin:/sbin)
                                  >
                                  > What firmware did you flash?
                                  >
                                  > -Andre

                                  hg-openlink-051b