Re: Just got a 250Gb LS - What should I install?

  • neilhump3
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
      <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "neilhump3" <neil@>
      wrote:

      > > Hi all, nice group.
      > > I was wondering if anyone can advise me on what to install on my
      > > shiney new 250Gb LinkStation. I think it is a MIPs because it is
      > > version 2.x firmware.
      > >
      > > I currently use the LS to store and stream pics, vids, and music
      to my
      > > PC and also to my SnaZZio Net Cinema HD.
      > >
      > > I would like FTP functionality and will need PCast aswell
      (unless
      > > someone can also advise me of another media server software that
      my
      > > SnaZZio will be able to see), but essentially I am looking to
      add any
      > > cool add-ons I can find to my LinkStation.
      > >
      > > Any advise would be great, its always great to see that people
      are
      > > expanding the functionality of a great product - and I always
      try and
      > > look to get the best from my new gadgets.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance,
      > > Neil.
      > >

      > I also have lighttpd and mysql installed, for my gallery and wiki.
      >
      > Other software (not including dependencies)
      > - phpmyadmin
      > - phpsysinfo
      > - smartmontools
      > - gallery
      > - pmwiki
      > - ctorrent

      Could somebody possibly explain in easy terms how to get cTorrent on
      my LS please?
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
        > Could somebody possibly explain in easy terms how to get cTorrent on
        > my LS please?

        There's a transmissioncli in the file section. You can give it a try
        with transmission replacing ctorrent.
      • neilhump3
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
          <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

          > > Could somebody possibly explain in easy terms how to get cTorrent
          on
          > > my LS please?
          > >

          > There's a transmissioncli in the file section. You can give it a try
          > with transmission replacing ctorrent.

          Thanks for the quick reply Calvin, can you give me step by step
          instructions on how to install it?
          Do I need to have freelink or openlink installed first?
        • calvinlsc
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
            > Thanks for the quick reply Calvin, can you give me step by step
            > instructions on how to install it?
            > Do I need to have freelink or openlink installed first?

            Sure you will need the Openlink first. You will find a guide in the
            openlink package to tell you how to flash it, and how to telnet/SSH in
            your box.

            Then install the development tools from linkstationwiki.org. You can
            find a step-by-step guide within the downloaded file.

            At this moment, there are two choices. For the transmission, I think
            you can simply download it and then extract it to /usr/bin. I haven't
            tried this method. Instead, I download and compile ctorrent myself.