Just got a 250Gb LS - What should I install?

  • neilhump3
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7 9:38 AM
      Hi all, nice group.
      I was wondering if anyone can advise me on what to install on my
      shiney new 250Gb LinkStation. I think it is a MIPs because it is
      version 2.x firmware.

      I currently use the LS to store and stream pics, vids, and music to my
      PC and also to my SnaZZio Net Cinema HD.

      I would like FTP functionality and will need PCast aswell (unless
      someone can also advise me of another media server software that my
      SnaZZio will be able to see), but essentially I am looking to add any
      cool add-ons I can find to my LinkStation.

      Any advise would be great, its always great to see that people are
      expanding the functionality of a great product - and I always try and
      look to get the best from my new gadgets.

      Thanks in advance,
      Neil.
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7 7:56 PM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "neilhump3" <neil@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, nice group.
        > I was wondering if anyone can advise me on what to install on my
        > shiney new 250Gb LinkStation. I think it is a MIPs because it is
        > version 2.x firmware.
        >
        > I currently use the LS to store and stream pics, vids, and music to my
        > PC and also to my SnaZZio Net Cinema HD.
        >
        > I would like FTP functionality and will need PCast aswell (unless
        > someone can also advise me of another media server software that my
        > SnaZZio will be able to see), but essentially I am looking to add any
        > cool add-ons I can find to my LinkStation.
        >
        > Any advise would be great, its always great to see that people are
        > expanding the functionality of a great product - and I always try and
        > look to get the best from my new gadgets.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Neil.

        I also have lighttpd and mysql installed, for my gallery and wiki.

        Other software (not including dependencies)
        - phpmyadmin
        - phpsysinfo
        - smartmontools
        - gallery
        - pmwiki
        - ctorrent
      • neilhump3
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8 12:00 AM
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
          <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "neilhump3" <neil@>
          wrote:

          > > Hi all, nice group.
          > > I was wondering if anyone can advise me on what to install on my
          > > shiney new 250Gb LinkStation. I think it is a MIPs because it is
          > > version 2.x firmware.
          > >
          > > I currently use the LS to store and stream pics, vids, and music
          to my
          > > PC and also to my SnaZZio Net Cinema HD.
          > >
          > > I would like FTP functionality and will need PCast aswell
          (unless
          > > someone can also advise me of another media server software that
          my
          > > SnaZZio will be able to see), but essentially I am looking to
          add any
          > > cool add-ons I can find to my LinkStation.
          > >
          > > Any advise would be great, its always great to see that people
          are
          > > expanding the functionality of a great product - and I always
          try and
          > > look to get the best from my new gadgets.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance,
          > > Neil.
          > >

          > I also have lighttpd and mysql installed, for my gallery and wiki.
          >
          > Other software (not including dependencies)
          > - phpmyadmin
          > - phpsysinfo
          > - smartmontools
          > - gallery
          > - pmwiki
          > - ctorrent

          Could somebody possibly explain in easy terms how to get cTorrent on
          my LS please?
        • calvinlsc
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8 1:56 AM
            > Could somebody possibly explain in easy terms how to get cTorrent on
            > my LS please?

            There's a transmissioncli in the file section. You can give it a try
            with transmission replacing ctorrent.
          • neilhump3
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8 5:36 AM
              <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

              > > Could somebody possibly explain in easy terms how to get cTorrent
              on
              > > my LS please?
              > >

              > There's a transmissioncli in the file section. You can give it a try
              > with transmission replacing ctorrent.

              Thanks for the quick reply Calvin, can you give me step by step
              instructions on how to install it?
              Do I need to have freelink or openlink installed first?
            • calvinlsc
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8 7:37 AM
                > Thanks for the quick reply Calvin, can you give me step by step
                > instructions on how to install it?
                > Do I need to have freelink or openlink installed first?

                Sure you will need the Openlink first. You will find a guide in the
                openlink package to tell you how to flash it, and how to telnet/SSH in
                your box.

                Then install the development tools from linkstationwiki.org. You can
                find a step-by-step guide within the downloaded file.

                At this moment, there are two choices. For the transmission, I think
                you can simply download it and then extract it to /usr/bin. I haven't
                tried this method. Instead, I download and compile ctorrent myself.