Using Disk Scan on modded Linkstation potentially corrupts your hard disk...

  • cynicaltaf
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2006
      As I have just found out to my cost, if you are running any
      additional applications on your Linkstation (Twonkymedia, mt-daap,
      etc.) and run a Disk Scan from the Linkstation Maintenance menu
      (which calls e2fsck) then if it finds/corrects any hard disk
      problems you can seriously mess up your filesystem.

      The Disk Scan calls set_hdd_check_normal.sh or
      set_hdd_check_detail.sh, which stop the main Linkstation daemons but
      obviously not any additional ones that you have started yourself. It
      then attempts a forced umount prior to running e2fsck, but this
      umount will fail if you have Twonky, etc. running. There is NO check
      on whether umount passes or fails in the script, and hence e2fsck
      runs on a mounted drive and severe filesystem damage can occur.

      I initially ran the disk check as I had a disk sector problem, but
      after rebooting I now have many damaged files right across the hard
      drive. I am not sure if this applies to all firmware releases, but
      recommend you avoid using Disk Scan from the Linkstation menu (only
      run one manually from the shell as required, *after* ensuring umount
      is successful).