At wits end. Adding Slimserver to Linkstation 250gb Mipsel (firmware 2.05)

  • Scott Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
      (I have had no experience with Linux up till now)
      I have been trying all weekend to get Slimserver onto my new box. I
      seem so close.
      I have added openlink no problem, then added mipsel-tools-2.0. All is
      good.
      I then try to add MIPSelSlimServerModules. Move the
      mipsel-slimserver-modules-0.5b.tgz to the root and tar zxvf the file.
      I then run ./install.sh and I then get the message (along these line)
      'This script must be excuted from the filesystem root: exiting'
      Thats where I'm running the install from!!!
      Wonder if someone can point me in the right direction
      Many thanks. Scott
    • anthonyinnyc
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Fisher"
        <scottsanpedro@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > (I have had no experience with Linux up till now)
        > I have been trying all weekend to get Slimserver onto my new box. I
        > seem so close.
        > I have added openlink no problem, then added mipsel-tools-2.0. All is
        > good.
        > I then try to add MIPSelSlimServerModules. Move the
        > mipsel-slimserver-modules-0.5b.tgz to the root and tar zxvf the file.
        > I then run ./install.sh and I then get the message (along these line)
        > 'This script must be excuted from the filesystem root: exiting'
        > Thats where I'm running the install from!!!
        > Wonder if someone can point me in the right direction
        > Many thanks. Scott

        Scott,
        move the tar file the root directory by using this command
        mv mipsel-slimserver-modules-0.5b.tgz /
        That command moves everything to where it should be
        Then change to the root diretory using the following command
        cd /
        then do the tar command
        tar zxvf mipsel-slimserver-modules-0.5b.tgz
        then you should be able to run the install using
        ./install.sh

        enjoy
      • Scott Fisher
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "anthonyinnyc"
          <Anthony@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Fisher"
          > <scottsanpedro@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi,
          > > (I have had no experience with Linux up till now)
          > > I have been trying all weekend to get Slimserver onto my new box. I
          > > seem so close.
          > > I have added openlink no problem, then added mipsel-tools-2.0. All is
          > > good.
          > > I then try to add MIPSelSlimServerModules. Move the
          > > mipsel-slimserver-modules-0.5b.tgz to the root and tar zxvf the file.
          > > I then run ./install.sh and I then get the message (along these line)
          > > 'This script must be excuted from the filesystem root: exiting'
          > > Thats where I'm running the install from!!!
          > > Wonder if someone can point me in the right direction
          > > Many thanks. Scott
          > >
          > Scott,
          > move the tar file the root directory by using this command
          > mv mipsel-slimserver-modules-0.5b.tgz /
          > That command moves everything to where it should be
          > Then change to the root diretory using the following command
          > cd /
          > then do the tar command
          > tar zxvf mipsel-slimserver-modules-0.5b.tgz
          > then you should be able to run the install using
          > ./install.sh
          >
          > enjoy

          Spot on
          Many thanks. another lesson learnt. Many thanks