Sending upgrade files to the Linkstation

  • holmsn4u
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
      Sorry if this seem obvious to the experienced, but as an owner of a
      new Linkstation (the MIPSel v2.05), do all the files always get put in
      the network share on your Windows box which I presume is a graphic
      representation of a folder on a Linux partition in the Linkstation ?.
      It's just that in "My Computer" in Windows it implies that the mapped
      network drive is actually in NTFS format, but it can't be surely on
      the LS ?
      Also for a box that's only going to carry music files anyway (after
      the Slimserver install) do you really have to worry about SSH
      communication rather than Telnet ? , I mean either system will do for
      moving round the Linux filesystem remotely won't it ?

      Regards all
      Neil
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "holmsn4u" <holmsn4u@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Sorry if this seem obvious to the experienced, but as an owner of a
        > new Linkstation (the MIPSel v2.05), do all the files always get put
        in
        > the network share on your Windows box which I presume is a graphic
        > representation of a folder on a Linux partition in the Linkstation ?

        I don't quite get what you mean. What is 'all the files'?

        > It's just that in "My Computer" in Windows it implies that the
        mapped
        > network drive is actually in NTFS format, but it can't be surely on
        > the LS ?

        There is no implication that folders inside 'My Computer' are all
        formatted in NTFS. Shared folders, for instance, will remain in the
        server's specified format. In this case, the LS always format it as
        ext3.

        > Also for a box that's only going to carry music files anyway (after
        > the Slimserver install) do you really have to worry about SSH
        > communication rather than Telnet ? , I mean either system will do
        for
        > moving round the Linux filesystem remotely won't it ?

        SSH is always safer than telnet with everything being encrypted. Via
        telnet, your login credential will be flying without protection. It
        is very dangerous, especially when you telnet throught the Internet.