WinXP Print Setup for Linkstation USB Printer

  • nshing_ny
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2006
      I recently added an Epson R220 printer to my Linkstation 120 and
      configured the printer as a network printer on all my WinXP clients.
      Printing to the shared network printer was extremely slow.

      I found the following recommendation on Microsoft's support site and
      after I implemented the changes, printing has been also instantaneous.
      I strongly recommend that anyone with slow printer response from
      Windows XP try the following workaround.

      Workarounds
      SMB-connected print server
      SMB print servers allow workstations on the network to send print
      jobs directly to a print server without going through an intermediate
      computer or print server. This type of configuration does not support
      Point and Print.

      To work around this issue, follow these steps to install the print
      driver locally and create a connection to the SMB print share: 1.
      Click Start, click Run, type control.exe in the Open box, and then
      click Printers and Faxes.
      2. Double-click Add a printer, and then click Next.
      3. Click Local printer attached to this computer, and then click
      Next.
      4. Click Create a new port.
      5. In the Type box, click Local Port, and then click Next.
      6. Type the SMB share name. For example:
      \\PrintServer\ShareName
      7. Continue the wizard and install the appropriate driver for the
      device.