Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • Wilson
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 7, 2004
      Hi all,

      The whole binaries tar-gzipped file is 15MB, so I
      tried to break it down into 3 groups of files:

      samba-3.0.9-LS-common.tar.gz (6.6MB)
      samba-3.0.9-LS-server.tar.gz (2MB)
      samba-3.0.9-LS-swat.tar.gz (6.7MB)

      Q: How I break it down?
      A: For SWAT, I take out sbin/swat and the whole swat
      directory and compressed them into a file.
      For Server, I take the rest in sbin and compressed
      them into a file
      For common, it's the rest of the files (lib, man,
      bin, etc)

      Q: How am I compile them?
      A: First, I created a new folder /mnt/dev-root, and cp
      -Rp many things over from / to create a new root, then
      I untar/ungzip the revogear binary.zip to it.
      Download the samba source code from samba.org and did
      a ./configure with no argument. As I just want to
      make it work without customize it. Then do a make and
      make install to compile it...it installed everything
      under /usr/local/samba and it's the place where I pack
      the files.

      Q: How to make it work with the current samba from LS?
      A: You should first stop the current samba process,
      change the /etc/init.d/smb to point to the new server
      daemon location (/usr/sbin/smbd to
      /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd etc) Then make a symbolic
      link: ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
      /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
      start the process again and you should be now using
      samba 3.0.9 binaries.

      For more information, you better read samba.org for
      configuration and how to use as I'm not an expert on
      samba as well.

      Note: I'll email and attach the file to the group in
      2-3 mails. (As I can send upto 10MB from yahoo mail)

      Wilson

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • stratmoens
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 28, 2004
        A small addition to your "how to" is necessary for these binaries to
        operate correctly....

        A symbolic link must be created for smbpasswd. For example,

        ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

        Otherwise I believe everything is correct. I rebuilt samba from the
        sources before I found that smbd was looking in this file, but it
        was in fact empty thus preventing a client from mounting a share.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all,

        [snip]
        > Q: How to make it work with the current samba from LS?
        > A: You should first stop the current samba process,
        > change the /etc/init.d/smb to point to the new server
        > daemon location (/usr/sbin/smbd to
        > /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd etc) Then make a symbolic
        > link: ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
        > /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
        > start the process again and you should be now using
        > samba 3.0.9 binaries.
        [snip]
        > Wilson
      • Wilson
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 28, 2004
          or you can set up the smbpasswd location inside the
          smb.conf file.

          --- stratmoens <strat321@...> wrote:

          > A small addition to your "how to" is necessary for
          > these binaries to
          > operate correctly....
          >
          > A symbolic link must be created for smbpasswd. For
          > example,
          >
          > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd
          > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
          >
          > Otherwise I believe everything is correct. I rebuilt
          > samba from the
          > sources before I found that smbd was looking in this
          > file, but it
          > was in fact empty thus preventing a client from
          > mounting a share.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
          > <sonsondei@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > [snip]
          > > Q: How to make it work with the current samba from
          > LS?
          > > A: You should first stop the current samba
          > process,
          > > change the /etc/init.d/smb to point to the new
          > server
          > > daemon location (/usr/sbin/smbd to
          > > /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd etc) Then make a
          > symbolic
          > > link: ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
          > > /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
          > > start the process again and you should be now
          > using
          > > samba 3.0.9 binaries.
          > [snip]
          > > Wilson

          http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
        • whoisnader
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
            I can't seem to get SWAT to work. I have made the changes to the
            inetd.conf file but I get a connection refused error when I try to
            connect to http://ip:901/

            Here is how my inetd.conf looks like

            telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd
            in.telnetd /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat

            I am able to get samba working, just not SWAT.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
              Has anyone noticed that you cannot shutdown (either via the shutdown
              command in a telnet session, via the web interface or the button)
              when running this version of samba, or is it just my configration?

              When I reverted back the samba version that comes with 1.45_13 it
              will shutdown correctly.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                With respect to SWAT I can't comment as my intent was to leave the
                unit as stock as possible in the native load.

                With respect to your second question yes I had this problem as well.
                There is a script in '/www/script' that expects not only the path to
                smbd to be '/usr/sbin/smbd', but also the pid file to reside
                in '/var/run'. Thus I took the following approach to get everything
                working. Here are my build notes,

                1) Modified Makefile such that the pid directory points
                to /var/run. This permits the NSS's scripts to find the pid file
                (e.g. /www/script/melsub_shutdown.sh).
                2) Ran make
                3) Ran make install
                4) Copied the build location's /usr/local/samba directory to
                the real /usr/local location
                5) Symbolically linked the smb.conf file via, "ln –
                s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
                6) Symbolically linked the samba password file smbpasswd
                via, "ln –s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/loca
                l/samba/private/smbpasswd".
                7) Symbolically linked the smb demon via, "ln –
                s /usr/sbin/smbd /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd".

                Note that rather than modifying /etc/init.d/smb I made a copy of the
                older smbd and linked to the new smbd (step 7 above). This solves
                the problem with the shutdown script greping the output of 'ps' and
                looking for the complete path, not just 'smbd'.

                Someone said that they find themself fighting the native LS load. No
                kidding....

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                  Did you restart inetd after you made these changes?

                  ie: /etc/init.d/inetd restart

                  Also, I just checked on the laptop I'm currently using
                  and its inetd.conf has:

                  swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/tcpd
                  /usr/sbin/swat

                  in it. It's a pure Debian system so who knows what
                  applies.

                  Oh, and I also have swat listed in my /etc/services
                  file:

                  swat 901/tcp # swat

                  --- whoisnader <whoisnader@...> wrote:

                  > I can't seem to get SWAT to work. I have made the
                  > changes to the
                  > inetd.conf file but I get a connection refused error
                  > when I try to
                  > connect to http://ip:901/
                  >
                  > Here is how my inetd.conf looks like
                  >
                  > telnet stream tcp nowait root
                  > /usr/sbin/tcpd
                  > in.telnetd /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat
                  >
                  > I am able to get samba working, just not SWAT.
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
                  > <sonsondei@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > or you can set up the smbpasswd location inside
                  > the
                  > > smb.conf file.
                  > >

                  > > --- stratmoens <strat321@c...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > A small addition to your "how to" is necessary
                  > for
                  > > > these binaries to
                  > > > operate correctly....
                  > > >
                  > > > A symbolic link must be created for smbpasswd.
                  > For
                  > > > example,
                  > > >
                  > > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd
                  > > > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                  > > >
                  > > > Otherwise I believe everything is correct. I
                  > rebuilt
                  > > > samba from the
                  > > > sources before I found that smbd was looking in
                  > this
                  > > > file, but it
                  > > > was in fact empty thus preventing a client from
                  > > > mounting a share.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                  > Wilson
                  > > > <sonsondei@y...>
                  > > > >
                  > > > [snip]
                  > from
                  > > > LS?
                  > > > process,
                  > > > server
                  > > > symbolic
                  > > > using
                  > > > [snip]

                  > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs.
                  > Learn more.
                  > > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • whoisnader
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                    I am learning so much about linux/unix from my LS (I have never used
                    it before then). It's not hard, just very different to Windows.

                    The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
                    linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                    detail for me.

                    Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
                    your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
                    the original samba?

                    The main reason why I want to upgrade my version of Samba is because
                    I have first hand experience (on an enterprise level) as to how
                    performance can be degraded between an XP environment and an old
                    version of Samba. Specifically an EMC server going to a HP N Class
                    server which was running Samba 2.7. The XP machines caused all sorts
                    of issues going through the N Class.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                      <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                      Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                      say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                      link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process table
                      the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
                      the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.

                      The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the LS
                      employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a few
                      more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
                      new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.

                      Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                      needed unicode running at this point.

                      > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
                      > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                      > detail for me.
                      >
                      > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
                      > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
                      > the original samba?
                    • Wilson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                        Keep in mind that the samba 3.0.9 binaries are
                        compiled before we investigate many dependencies with
                        the LS system files.. Feel free to compile a new one
                        and replace the files in the files section.

                        Wilson

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                          In "Windows" terms, we are making "shortcuts" to
                          everyplace where a file is expected to be but isn't.
                          These "shortcuts" or "links" are commonly used in
                          Unix-like operating systems because unlike Windows
                          "shortcuts" they are well integrated into the file
                          system and work very well.

                          --- stratmoens <strat321@...> wrote:

                          > "whoisnader"
                          > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the
                          > new smbd in
                          > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd
                          > and created a
                          > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in
                          > the process table
                          > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are
                          > expect. Specifically
                          > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                          >
                          > The default samba configuration isn't for the
                          > locations that the LS
                          > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need
                          > to modify a few
                          > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I
                          > wanted to get the
                          > new samba running with as little changes to the LS
                          > as possible.
                          >
                          > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box,
                          > but I just
                          > needed unicode running at this point.
                          >
                          > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of
                          > the older smbd and
                          > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a
                          > little more
                          > > detail for me.
                          > >
                          > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have
                          > my respect form
                          > > your contribution to this group) about just
                          > copying the files over
                          > > the original samba?

                          http://my.yahoo.com
                        • whoisnader
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
                            There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                            bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:

                            ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                            ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                            cd /usr/sbin/
                            mv smbd smbd.orignal
                            mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                            mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                            ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                            ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                            ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd

                            I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
                            Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                            services.

                            <strat321@c...> wrote:

                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                            > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                            > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                            > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                            table
                            > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
                            > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                            >
                            > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
                            LS
                            > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
                            few
                            > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
                            > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                            >
                            > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                            > needed unicode running at this point.
                            >
                            > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
                            and
                            > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                            > > detail for me.
                            > >
                            > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
                            form
                            > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
                            over
                            > > the original samba?
                          • whoisnader
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
                              I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                              tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                              shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                              work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.

                              Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                              in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                              with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                              processes runing.

                              I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?

                              <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                              > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                              > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:
                              >
                              > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                              > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                              > cd /usr/sbin/
                              > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                              > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                              > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                              > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                              > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                              > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                              >
                              > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
                              > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                              > services.
                              >

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                              > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                              > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                              > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                              > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                              > table
                              > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                              Specifically
                              > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                              > >
                              > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
                              > LS
                              > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
                              > few
                              > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                              the
                              > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                              > >
                              > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                              > > needed unicode running at this point.
                              > >
                              > > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
                              > and
                              > > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                              > > > detail for me.
                              > > >
                              > > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
                              > form
                              > > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
                              > over
                              > > > the original samba?
                            • stratmoens
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 5, 2005
                                The version posted here is not modified to put the pid file in the
                                correct location.

                                <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                                > I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                                > tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                                > shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                                > work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.
                                >
                                > Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                                > in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                                > with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                                > processes runing.
                                >
                                > I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?
                                >

                                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                                > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                                > > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am
                                doing:

                                > > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                                > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                                > > cd /usr/sbin/
                                > > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                                > > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                                > > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                                > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                                > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                                > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                                > >
                                > > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode
                                filenames.
                                > > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                                > > services.
                                > >

                                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                                > > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                                > > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                                > > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created
                                > > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                                > > table
                                > > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                                > Specifically
                                > > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                                > > >
                                > > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that
                                the
                                > > LS
                                > > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify
                                > > few
                                > > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                                > the
                                > > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                                > > >
                                > > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I
                                just
                                > > > needed unicode running at this point.

                                > > and

                                > > form
                                > > over
                              • stratmoens
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 6, 2005
                                  Binary version of smbd and nmbd uploaded to the Files area.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 7, 2005
                                    Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                                    saved me the hassle.

                                    Appreciated it.

                                    PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                                    Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 8, 2005
                                      I built samba on the Linkstation using the Kurobox binaries.

                                      <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                                      > Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                                      > saved me the hassle.
                                      >
                                      > Appreciated it.
                                      >
                                      > PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                                      > Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?
                                    • chano22000
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                                        Considering previous discussions how to install Samba 3.0.9, do I
                                        have anything else to do than just replacing the smbd and nmbd files
                                        with the ones you provide in order to have Samba 3.0.10 running on
                                        the LinkStation ?

                                        Thanks for your contribution and answer.
                                      • stratmoens
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                                          The postings in the file section all assume the executables reside
                                          in /usr/local. Thus a different build might be required to just
                                          replace the LS's files.

                                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"