Re: LSI /Openlink .051b

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
      > <lalunas10@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
      > <morituri32@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

      > > > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
      > > > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
      > > > changed to the default!!
      > > >
      > > > I have no idea what is going on!!
      > >
      > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
      > Technically, the hostname is
      > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
      > simplified, I know). You could
      > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.
      > >
      > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
      > said that, the file to
      > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
      > lock yourself out!)
      > >
      > > -Andre
      > >

      > Hi,
      >
      > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
      > both running.
      >
      > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
      > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.

      Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.

      PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts

      -Andre
    • morituri64
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
        <lalunas10@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
        <morituri32@> wrote:

        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
        > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"

        LS in

        > > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
        > > Technically, the hostname is
        > > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
        > > simplified, I know). You could
        > > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your
        LS.

        > > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
        > > said that, the file to
        > > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
        > > lock yourself out!)
        > > >
        > > > -Andre
        > > >

        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
        > > both running.
        > >
        > > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
        > > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.
        >
        > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
        >
        > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
        >
        > -Andre

        Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
        yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
        on a static IP.

        I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
        isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:
          [...]
          > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
          > >
          > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
          [...]
          > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and

          Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!

          To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before attempting. E.g., given a
          share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp -a /mnt/important /
          mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like /mnt/hda/important I guess.

          > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
          > on a static IP.
          >
          > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
          > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

          It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web interface, the #1 advantage of
          OpenLink over Freelink.

          -Andre
        • morituri64
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
            <lalunas10@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
            <morituri32@> wrote:
            > [...]
            > > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
            > > >
            > > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
            > [...]
            > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
            >
            > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
            >
            > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
            attempting. E.g., given a
            > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
            -a /mnt/important /
            > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
            /mnt/hda/important I guess.

            > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
            > > on a static IP.
            > >
            > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
            > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
            >
            > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
            interface, the #1 advantage of
            > OpenLink over Freelink.
            >
            > -Andre

            Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
            chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

            How should it work?
          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
              > <lalunas10@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
              > <morituri32@> wrote:
              > > [...]
              > > [...]
              > > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
              > >
              > > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
              > >
              > > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
              > attempting. E.g., given a
              > > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
              > -a /mnt/important /
              > > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
              > /mnt/hda/important I guess.
              > >
              > > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
              > > > on a static IP.
              > > >
              > > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
              > > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
              > >
              > > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
              > interface, the #1 advantage of
              > > OpenLink over Freelink.
              > >
              > > -Andre
              > >
              > Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
              > chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

              What I'm trying to say is: Create shares, reboot, see if it works :)

              > How should it work?

              IIRC from a CGI script/the web interface, but I'm not sure since I'm on Freelink. In the
              worst case, you could re-flash.

              I hope this helps!

              -Andre