Re: LSI /Openlink .051b

  • michael_harper75
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
      try doing the command ps -aux and see if the samba service is running,
      if it is vi the smb.conf file and make sure everything there is
      correct. if the service is'nt running try going to the directory
      /etc/init.d/ and typing sh samba start it should start if it doesnt
      you will see an error message that might explain the problem.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
      <morituri32@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
      > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
      > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
      > > [...]
      > > > I'm running the above and everything was fine, all shares on the LS
      > > > could be seen.
      > > >
      > > > I then created a new share, moved some files into it from other
      > > > folders on the LS, copied some more from an XP machine onto the
      share.

      > > > I then rebooted the LS and now XP cannot see the LS or any of it
      > shares!
      > > >
      > > > I can still telnet into the LS and still reach its web interface.
      > > >
      > > > All machines have been rebooted umpteen times and the XP box can see
      > > > other machines on the network.
      > >
      > > I guess it's either the old Windows network browser problem (takes
      > up to 30 minutes for
      > > shares to show up), or, less likely, Samba (the LS's SMB/CIS
      > component) is struggling with
      > > XP for the master browser position.
      > >
      > > > Below is what is currently running on the LS, is it missing anything
      > >
      > > Looks good to me. Try \\ipaddress.of.your.linkstation instead of
      > \\linkststationname.
      > >
      > > -Andre
      > >

      > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
      > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
      > changed to the default!!
      >
      > I have no idea what is going on!!

    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
        > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
        > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
        > > [...]
        >
        > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
        > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
        > changed to the default!!
        >
        > I have no idea what is going on!!

        Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot. Technically, the hostname is
        specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat simplified, I know). You could
        edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.

        Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having said that, the file to
        edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might lock yourself out!)

        -Andre
      • morituri64
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
          <morituri32@> wrote:

          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
          > > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
          > > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
          > > > [...]
          > >
          > > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
          > > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
          > > changed to the default!!
          > >
          > > I have no idea what is going on!!
          >
          > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
          Technically, the hostname is
          > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
          simplified, I know). You could
          > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.
          >
          > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
          said that, the file to
          > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
          lock yourself out!)

          > -Andre

          Hi,

          Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
          both running.

          What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
          cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.

          Cheers
        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
            > <lalunas10@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
            > <morituri32@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

            > > > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
            > > > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
            > > > changed to the default!!
            > > >
            > > > I have no idea what is going on!!
            > >
            > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
            > Technically, the hostname is
            > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
            > simplified, I know). You could
            > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.
            > >
            > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
            > said that, the file to
            > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
            > lock yourself out!)
            > >
            > > -Andre
            > >

            > Hi,
            >
            > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
            > both running.
            >
            > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
            > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.

            Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.

            PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts

            -Andre
          • morituri64
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
              <morituri32@> wrote:

              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
              > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"

              LS in

              > > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
              > > Technically, the hostname is
              > > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
              > > simplified, I know). You could
              > > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your
              LS.

              > > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
              > > said that, the file to
              > > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
              > > lock yourself out!)
              > > >
              > > > -Andre
              > > >

              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
              > > both running.
              > >
              > > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
              > > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.
              >
              > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
              >
              > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
              >
              > -Andre

              Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
              yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
              on a static IP.

              I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
              isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:
                [...]
                > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                > >
                > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                [...]
                > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and

                Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!

                To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before attempting. E.g., given a
                share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp -a /mnt/important /
                mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like /mnt/hda/important I guess.

                > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                > on a static IP.
                >
                > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

                It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web interface, the #1 advantage of
                OpenLink over Freelink.

                -Andre
              • morituri64
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                  <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                  <morituri32@> wrote:
                  > [...]
                  > > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                  > > >
                  > > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                  > [...]
                  > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                  >
                  > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
                  >
                  > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
                  attempting. E.g., given a
                  > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
                  -a /mnt/important /
                  > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
                  /mnt/hda/important I guess.

                  > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                  > > on a static IP.
                  > >
                  > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                  > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
                  >
                  > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
                  interface, the #1 advantage of
                  > OpenLink over Freelink.
                  >
                  > -Andre

                  Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
                  chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

                  How should it work?
                • lalunas10
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                    > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                    > <morituri32@> wrote:
                    > > [...]
                    > > [...]
                    > > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                    > >
                    > > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
                    > >
                    > > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
                    > attempting. E.g., given a
                    > > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
                    > -a /mnt/important /
                    > > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
                    > /mnt/hda/important I guess.
                    > >
                    > > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                    > > > on a static IP.
                    > > >
                    > > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                    > > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
                    > >
                    > > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
                    > interface, the #1 advantage of
                    > > OpenLink over Freelink.
                    > >
                    > > -Andre
                    > >
                    > Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
                    > chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

                    What I'm trying to say is: Create shares, reboot, see if it works :)

                    > How should it work?

                    IIRC from a CGI script/the web interface, but I'm not sure since I'm on Freelink. In the
                    worst case, you could re-flash.

                    I hope this helps!

                    -Andre